Installing on IIS7 (Vista / Server2008)

May 25, 2007 at 9:20 AM
Has anybody else tried to install the WebFiles distribution onto a Vista or Server2008 instance of IIS7?

I've had numerous issues. Once I got IIS configured correctly to support the application it seems to work ok, but the rewriter module doesn't appear to work.

if I click on an author, tag or category link, I get back a 404 error.

I'm running the install as a Virtual Application with the path /blog/

May 25, 2007 at 11:45 AM
I know that IIS7 does urlrewriting differently, but haven't checked just what the differences are. I'm glad you mention it because this is certainly something we will include in the next release. Thanks
May 27, 2007 at 5:19 AM
I like what I've seen of the application so far, and will be giving it a bit of a stretch properly later this week. Will let you know anything I find, or anything I need to update to get it working cleanly with my systems.

Let me know if I can help...
May 27, 2007 at 9:21 AM
Dave, that would be really helpful if you could share your solution to the IIS7 problem. I think it's a matter of adjusting the UrlRewriteModule.cs. Thanks
May 28, 2007 at 12:26 AM
Right. Got the blog running natively on IIS7, without needing any code changes (yet)...

Rather than using the DefaultAppPool when creating the "virtual Application", use the "Classic .NET AppPool" (or create a new AppPool) which still uses ASP.NET 2.0 but changes the Managed PipeLine Mode from Intergrated to Classic.

Will need to look into why the new pipeline is causing problems.
Jul 26, 2007 at 4:02 PM
according to the instructions in the error you can move the httpHandlers and httpModules to the system.webserver block... but I can't work out what tweaks they need beyond that to get it running :(

Because Windows Server 2008 Beta 3 now had a go-live license I guess this is going to start to crop up...
Aug 1, 2007 at 4:22 PM
I put what I learned in the wiki, that's IIS7 on Vista.

I still have some bits which don't work in obscure ways; I'll try a commercial host which is probably IIS6 and see if that fixes the problems, otherwise I'll have to either debug the sucker myself or switch to something else.

Once I got it running, here are the defects I'm sure people on different setups don't have:

(a) the large calendar doesn't work at all; just a blank space where the output should go. It used to work on 1.00 so something broke it.

(b) the tag cloud works, but when you click on a tag it brings up the first post from that tag (correct, I have it set to show one post per page). Then hit "previous", and you get the latest post in the blog, not the previous post with the same tag. What's that got to do with the server, I wonder?