New upgrade procedure....?

Jun 26, 2007 at 11:22 PM
I went and got the latest source code yesterday and the upgrade process was less than idea. Is there anyway this can be improved? I basically just over wrote all my xml files and had to go back in and enter all my setup information.
Coordinator
Jun 27, 2007 at 3:21 AM
This is something I've very concerned about. We need to make upgrading easier and we are going to need better documentation for the process.

As you found out, it is very important to not overwrite your app_data folder. With XML, any setting not there, will be added the next time you save your settings. With SQL, we'll need to have an upgrade script.

Themes are an issue as well right now. If you customize an existing theme, it will get overwritten. If you have your own theme, it will potentially require upgrading. We are working on some better theme customization options and hopefully we'll have them in sometime this summer.

I'm sorry about your settings loss.
Jun 27, 2007 at 4:15 AM
No biggie on the settings loss, it didn't take much to fix.

But I figured if I didn't over write the app_data folder my xml file wouldn't have some new options in it that would be needed (like the post in an RSS feed).

I'll offer again, I'm a C# developer. Any thing you want help with let me know. Your code is written in a way that is easy to grasp and I'm sure I can help plug in small bits here and there for you. Your Blog Engine.net is pretty good, I can't wait until its fully competitive with WordPress.
Coordinator
Jun 28, 2007 at 9:47 PM

ckincincy wrote:
I'll offer again, I'm a C# developer. Any thing you want help with let me know. Your code is written in a way that is easy to grasp and I'm sure I can help plug in small bits here and there for you. Your Blog Engine.net is pretty good, I can't wait until its fully competitive with WordPress.

Thanks for the offer to work on the project. We need all the help we can get. :) You are more than welcome to help us make it "fully competitive with WordPress". I'd like to know more of what you see as the things we need to do to make that happen.

Our contribute page http://www.dotnetblogengine.net/page/contribute.aspx lists the standard ways to get involved. Starting with a new control or theme is probably a great way to get your feet wet in code and now that CodePlex support patches it is easier to submit changes if you'd like to dig into something meater.

Mads is the team leader and has the keys to adding developer privileges to the project. He is on vacation for a few weeks.