BlogEngine.NET holding CSS files open?

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0, Themes
Jul 6, 2007 at 10:42 PM

I've been doing local debug builds of the BE system under VS 2005. The problem I have is that after I stop debugging and want to edit the CSS file in a theme, VS's WebDev.WebServer.EXE web server still has the CSS file locked.

I need to manually kill WebDev.WebServer.EXE before I can edit the CSS file.

Is this normal? Why should the theme's CSS file need to be held open like that?

Jul 7, 2007 at 12:11 AM
This has been fixed in the latest source code. It will be fixed in the next release.
Jul 7, 2007 at 2:07 AM
Hi RazorAnt,

OK, thanks for the info.

If I want to get the latest sources with the fix in them should I just be able to download the latest code check-in zips and build any one of them? Or do I need to use the Codeplex Client to get a complete buildable system?

Jul 8, 2007 at 5:26 AM

I found that simply refreshing the web page, suddenly releases the css file... try worked for me...

Jul 9, 2007 at 6:02 PM
Hi rationaldna,

Sometimes I seem to have the problem and sometimes I don't.

When I do have the problem, here is how I work around it:
I set up a command on the VS tools menu to kill the WebDev.WebServer.EXE process, based on what this guy did:

In addition I wrote a macro for VS to automatically run the above "kill webserver" command whenever I leave debug mode. (VS exposes a "returning to design mode" DebuggerEvents_OnEnterDesignMode event you can handle with a VS macro).

Jul 10, 2007 at 6:35 PM
i just hardcoded a link to my stylesheet and put it outside the head. if you put the stylesheet link below the body tag, the css will still work and it won't lock it. once you are done debugging, but the correct one back.