Xml provider mode performance

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
Aug 12, 2007 at 10:18 PM
I really like one of BlogEngine.NET features that let me copy and run the application without having to do any database configuration. It is really comfortable compared to other projects that might require a SQL Server.

But, should I install BlogEngine.NET for production environment using Xml provider mode ? Is my blog going to be slow to unacceptable level when there are more and more blog posts ?
Coordinator
Aug 12, 2007 at 10:32 PM
I use the xml provider at blog.madskristensen.dk and I have around 300 posts and the performance is phenominal. If for some reason you want to use the sql provider sometime in the future, then you can convert your xml to sql with a tool we release a little after the 1.2 release.
Aug 12, 2007 at 10:48 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. The performance is fantastic! Never known before that you also use Xml provider at your blog :-D
Coordinator
Aug 13, 2007 at 8:37 AM
Also think about the fact that Scott Hanselman's blog also run on XML and he has thousands of posts
Dec 4, 2007 at 5:10 AM
Did you guys write your own XML provider for this or use something that already exists? I did a quick look and there are only a couple of XML user and membership providers already built...
Dec 16, 2007 at 4:37 PM
What is the point of the SQL provider? I mean looking at it none of the advantages of using a SQL store are being leveraged...

I agree that XML should be more than good enough for most users (though shared environments may suffer first if memory starts to become an issue), though I would still like to see more work offloaded to SQL.

Any thoughts?