Modifications To Standard Install?

Aug 17, 2007 at 12:13 AM
I wonder... in order to client-proof BE.NET -- can I remove all of the other Themes after I've created my own? It seems that if anything happens, the blog reverts to the Standard Theme, and I have to reconfigure the whole thing. I'd like to delete ALL the other themes so my client can't mess with it!

Also, can I remove the Tag Cloud and Tag features completely? How?

Thanks!
Aug 17, 2007 at 1:02 AM
I've completely removed all content without any impact or change in functionality. I've noticed there was only 1 entry (and I'm truly sorry I forgot what file it was) that was pointing hardcoded to a file in the Standard theme. This was also in BE.NET v1.1 - I'm pretty sure this is fixed in a later build.

The Tag Cloud is simply a very short code snippet/control: <blog:tagcloud id="TagCloud" runat="server" />
Remove that from the source (either in the site.master or sidepanel.ascx) and it's gone. If you don't want to show the tags in a post, just edit the PostView.ascx and remove any references with <%=TagLinks(", ") %>

Good luck,
Mike
Aug 17, 2007 at 2:04 AM
Edited Aug 17, 2007 at 1:45 PM

MikevZ wrote:
I've completely removed all content without any impact or change in functionality. I've noticed there was only 1 entry (and I'm truly sorry I forgot what file it was) that was pointing hardcoded to a file in the Standard theme. This was also in BE.NET v1.1 - I'm pretty sure this is fixed in a later build.

The Tag Cloud is simply a very short code snippet/control: <blog:tagcloud id="TagCloud" runat="server" />
Remove that from the source (either in the site.master or sidepanel.ascx) and it's gone. If you don't want to show the tags in a post, just edit the PostView.ascx and remove any references with <%=TagLinks(", ") %>

Good luck,
Mike

Thanks, Mike!

In case anyone else is following this, it seems that the one file required from another theme is the PostView.ascx from the Standard theme -- tomorrow I'm going to see if I can figure out how to fix that!

UPDATE: It was an easy fix -- post.aspx (Line 3) Registers a Source and refers to the Standard Theme's PostView.ascx -- change it to refer to your theme, and all's clear!

Your suggestions worked great, Mike, for removing the Tag Cloud from the page... and with a little work on admin/Pages/Addentry.aspx and Addentry.aspx.cs, I was able to remove the field from the Control Panel too!
Aug 17, 2007 at 9:05 PM

MrBruce wrote:

Thanks, Mike!

In case anyone else is following this, it seems that the one file required from another theme is the PostView.ascx from the Standard theme -- tomorrow I'm going to see if I can figure out how to fix that!

UPDATE: It was an easy fix -- post.aspx (Line 3) Registers a Source and refers to the Standard Theme's PostView.ascx -- change it to refer to your theme, and all's clear!

Your suggestions worked great, Mike, for removing the Tag Cloud from the page... and with a little work on admin/Pages/Addentry.aspx and Addentry.aspx.cs, I was able to remove the field from the Control Panel too!

Your very welcome. Seems like you've found the entry I was talking about (that refreshed my memory, indeed that referrer in line3!). Guess that wasn't fixed yet in a later build. You even took the extra mile and updated the admin pages too, excellent! I'll keep that in mind whenever we need/use BE.NET for client-proof projects :-) Thank you too for sharing the updates!