Issue with upgrade

Feb 22, 2010 at 11:24 PM

I want to upgrade from 1.5 to 1.6 and it didn't go thru as expected. The actual blog is located here and is working (almost) fine (glad I had a backup). Anyway, the new version is here , it is in a different directory but this is coming exactly the same as when I did the upgrade on the actual folder. Click here to see the error

Not sure what I should look at to find the error.

Coordinator
Feb 22, 2010 at 11:39 PM

If you could copy-and-paste all the error details you are seeing here, then we'll have a better idea of what error is occurring.

The error page that is coming up is designed to only show the technical details for people who are logged into the site.  So when I look at that page, all I see is the message "apologizing for the error".

Feb 22, 2010 at 11:43 PM

That is true but I have got no idea where this "apologizing ..." error message is coming from How can I remove it and get the actual error's details ?

Coordinator
Feb 23, 2010 at 12:45 AM

I see ... I was thinking that you were logged in and seeing the error details.  But I realize now that you can't even get that far.

In the root folder, there's a file named error.aspx.cs.  In there you'll find this line of code:

if (Page.User.Identity.IsAuthenticated && HttpContext.Current.Items.Contains(contextItemKey))

Change that to:

if (HttpContext.Current.Items.Contains(contextItemKey))

Then we should be able to see the error details.

Feb 23, 2010 at 1:24 AM

Got it now. Hmmm, doesn't look good :-(

Coordinator
Feb 23, 2010 at 1:37 AM

It looks like you're storing data in a database?

When it's trying to load the posts, it's getting data from the be_PostComment table.  In that table is a column named "ParentCommentID".  The values in that column should be GUID values (36 character longs).  It looks like the error is occurring while it's trying to CAST one of the values returned from the DB into a GUID type.

I would check the be_PostComment table, and see what values are in the ParentCommentID column.

Btw, I see your current blog is running BE 1.4.5.  The ParentCommentID column was added in BE 1.5.  So make sure you've run the DB upgrade script for BE 1.5.  It's in the Setup\SQLServer (or Setup\MySQL) folder.  There was an upgrade script for BE 1.4.5 to 1.5, and another upgrade script from BE 1.5 to 1.6.  So, there's two upgrade scripts all together, if you're going from BE 1.4.5 to 1.6.

Feb 23, 2010 at 1:44 AM

Dam.. I thought I was using BE 1.5, yes with the missing script it goes much better. Thanks.