Problem with Post URL - I get 404 Error !!!

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0, Business Logic Layer, Controls, Themes
Oct 2, 2007 at 5:02 PM
Hi to all, I've downloaded the blogengine 1.2, it works great in my local server, but when I tried to upload it to my hosting provider I have a weird problem that I dont find on the troubleshooting section on the wiki neither on other posts, I set write permissions to the app_data folder and I use MSSQL.
The problem is, when I add a new post, it works fine, it appears in the blog, but when I click on the link to go to the post page, I get a 404 The page cannot be found error.
I dont know what is happening on my hosting provider, how can I know if something is missing on the IIS? Looks like the IIS has a problem with the UrlRewrite Http Module.
Feel free to visit www.deepsevenband an click on a link of any post you will see my problem.
The other things seems to be working properly, I can add post, add pages, see tags, last comments, etc.

Thanks for the help.
Coordinator
Oct 2, 2007 at 6:04 PM
Are you running BE.NET in the root of the IIS application or in a subfolder?
Oct 2, 2007 at 8:29 PM
Hi, thanks for the reply, Im running it in www.deepsevenband.com root
Nov 15, 2007 at 9:55 PM
Edited Nov 16, 2007 at 2:32 AM
I to have this same issue.

my web directory path is setup like this

webroot/apps/blog

i have blog setup as an application and the app_data set for r/w permisions.

to access the blog i use this url http://gen.mysite.com/apps/blog/ from my intranet

the app seem to work fine except for the comments link gets 404 as well as the create new post.

IIS 6.0 - Server 2003

Any thoughts on this

thanks in advance
Nov 17, 2007 at 12:44 AM
I too have the same issue as madskristensen and shoemaker27. I am on IIS 6.0 - Server 2003.
It worked fine on my XP machine.
Nov 17, 2007 at 3:27 PM
I have tried 1.2 on 3 different 2003 servers with IIS 6.0 and hve the same errors on each of them.
As with billyjack works perfect on XP. Can someone please help?

Thank you

Nov 17, 2007 at 6:02 PM
to bstoner:

I did see where nberardi did a modification but I don't know if it works for the 2003 server. check out http://www.codeplex.com/blogengine/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=17357 . I don't think I will have time to try this until Monday. If you have access locally to a 2003 server maybe you could try this. If it does or doesn't work please let me know.
Nov 18, 2007 at 3:14 PM
Hi billyjack,

That version still did not work. Did it for you?

Is anybody have it working with IIS 6.0 and Server 2003?

Since it works fine in XP it must be some sort of IIS setting. If so what is it?
Nov 18, 2007 at 8:04 PM
Hi bstoner,

Yeah I tried it to late last night and it didn't work for me either.
Note:
There is a second blog talking about the same issue you may want to keep an eye on
http://www.codeplex.com/blogengine/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=17357

In this post Domenic says that he has it working on his Windows 2003 server.
I am waiting for his reply on my last post....

If you get this running please let me know..
I will do the same for you..

Billyjack
Nov 20, 2007 at 4:21 AM
Just an update. I still have not gotten BE to work on the server that I was having an issue with. I copied BE from the one server and installed it on another server, added network services modify rights to the App_Data Folder. Everything worked fine.
Conclusion;
1. BE does work on Windows 2003 R2
2. There must be some setting on the two windows servers that are different.
3. Permissions were the same on App_Data Folder.

The only differences that I can see is the installation location:

Server 1
Windows 2003 R2
Installed BE in inetpub/dave
Created website not the Default location but an entire website.
Created Virtual Directory pointing to dave folder.
Set permissions to App_Data to network services modify, aspnet, modify, iusr, modify, iwam modify.
This installation did not work.

Server 2
Windows 2003 R2
Installed BE in inetpub/wwwroot/dave
Created Virtual Directory under inetpub/wwwroot pointing to dave folder.
Set permissions to App_Data to network services modify.
This installation did work.

Nov 20, 2007 at 6:53 AM
I've been working on Windows 2003 and IIS 6 since the beginning... something is either wrong with your install, or the latest build... I have build 1.2.0.10.

Have you changed anything in the code?
Nov 21, 2007 at 9:03 PM
To get my install to work with Windows 2003 IIS6 I had to do the following. I removed the space in the folder for usercontrols, and then had to remove that space from any spot that called that, including post.aspx in the root folder for the blog.
Dec 5, 2007 at 3:21 AM
Hello Fellows,
So, I've the same problem. The server configuration is Windows 2003 - Standard and the URL: www.viniciuscamara.com.
I've tried all the tips above.

There are one post:
http://www.viniciuscamara.com/post/2007/11/Vista-da-minha-janela.aspx

And the page didn't exist.

Someone can help me?
Thank you.
Dec 7, 2007 at 3:22 AM
Hello Fellow,
So, I've the same problem. The server configuration is Windows 2003 - Standard and the URL: www.viniciuscamara.com.
I've tried all the tips above.

There are one post:
http://www.viniciuscamara.com/post/2007/11/Vista-da-minha-janela.aspx

And the page didn't exist.

Can you help me?
Thank you.

SZRimaging wrote:
To get my install to work with Windows 2003 IIS6 I had to do the following. I removed the space in the folder for usercontrols, and then had to remove that space from any spot that called that, including post.aspx in the root folder for the blog.

Dec 14, 2007 at 2:53 AM
Edited Dec 14, 2007 at 2:56 AM

SZRimaging wrote:

How to get your install?

I've some problems with BE.
My URL is: www.viniciuscamara.com
I've installed at my PC (Windows XP) and works fine. But, at my host provider has a problem with "The page cannot be found" and some links when I try to use them. Anybody can help me, please?
Thanks a lot.
Coordinator
Dec 17, 2007 at 7:55 PM
Vinicius, I looked at your site and it seems like context.RewritePath is not working for you. From what I've heard, it is really hard to tell exact reason but it always comes down to IIS configuration. It may be you have Cold Fusion, PHP or Dreamweaver running on the same server and they might (if not properly configured) cause a problem. But I think you'll need full access to IIS to figure all that out.
Dec 18, 2007 at 3:08 AM
Heelo Rtur,
Thanks for your explanation.
I don't have full access to IIS but I can notify the host support team to configure properties.
Can you tell me witch properties are necessary to configure and the context.RewritePath goes to work?
I appreciate your help.
Thanks again.
Vinicius Câmara

rtur wrote:
Vinicius, I looked at your site and it seems like context.RewritePath is not working for you. From what I've heard, it is really hard to tell exact reason but it always comes down to IIS configuration. It may be you have Cold Fusion, PHP or Dreamweaver running on the same server and they might (if not properly configured) cause a problem. But I think you'll need full access to IIS to figure all that out.