Pages lose all styling

Topics: Themes
Oct 11, 2007 at 4:20 AM
Sometimes, all styling disappear and my pages are displayed witn no style whatsoever. It occurs intermittently, no matter what theme setting I use. Does this happen to anyone else?
Oct 11, 2007 at 12:36 PM
Edited Oct 11, 2007 at 12:38 PM
The same happens to me both using Firefox and browsing with IE
Oct 11, 2007 at 4:41 PM
I just upgraded my 1.1 BE to 1.2 on IIS7/Vista and had that problem.

In my case a quick check with Firebug showed that the themes css.axd beastie was coming back with a 404, even though the file was there. That is, the axd thing was failing to pull the style sheet for the theme even though it was there. This happened irrespective of the theme chosen. I checked the permissions and they were all fine.

In the end I just went into the IIS7 manager and flipped the "application pool" for the application to "Classic .NET AppPool". I thought that 1.2 had fixed this problem, and indeed I have another instance running fine on 1.2/IIS7 with the default AppPool, and a couple of others running on IIS6 with the same setting.

However in this case changing the pool fixed my problem. YMMV.
Oct 17, 2007 at 6:34 PM
This problem is still plaguing me. Do you think it has something to do with the hosting environment?
Oct 17, 2007 at 8:22 PM
Edited Oct 17, 2007 at 8:23 PM
Both of these are related to the CSS compression setting on the backend. If you disable that, you shouldn't see this anymore.

The FireFox issue is because of the way that AXD files are served. We have an application that uses something like this and we found that FireFox wasn't getting the correct header information. This should be noted as a bug.

I'm not exactly sure why IE has an issue. I think it might be in conjunction with the HTTP Compression setting.

One thing I did to work around this is to duplicate the skin I am using and call it "<name>_Dev". When you have your CSS the way you want it, run it through something like TopStyle Pro (http://www.newsgator.com/Individuals/TopStyle/Default.aspx) which has a setting to remove all excess whitespace (which is exactly what the CSS Exention does) and copy it over to your production skin.
Oct 23, 2007 at 3:29 AM
I disabled HTTP compression but this did not helped. I would still lose styling at times.
Then I thought I should try disabling "Trim stylesheets". It's been 3 days since I did that and have not encountered the problem. I will post again if the problem recurs.

JoshuaChr wrote:
Both of these are related to the CSS compression setting on the backend. If you disable that, you shouldn't see this anymore.

Dec 8, 2007 at 2:52 PM
Edited Dec 8, 2007 at 3:32 PM
Did anyone ever come up with a clear answer to this issue. I have it occurring sometimes and not others...on some pages this time different pages next time...don't make sense why it would load the page before the css one time and not another ?? Still looking for a solution.
JR
Dec 8, 2007 at 11:55 PM
I had the same problem a few days ago.... my site lost all styling and I couldn't get it back until I deactivated css compression. I just hope that it solved it permanently, but accordning to the forum no one can really give an exact answer to why it happens... :(

.- jonah