Syndication Feed Redirection

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0, Business Logic Layer
Oct 11, 2007 at 9:51 PM
In the admin there is a section to add an alternate feed address, which simply replaces your normal feed, so that you could use something like feedburner. Well, I don't want to point my feed at feedburner since if I ever want to point it somewhere else you are committing blogocide. So, what if the feed was setup to simply redirect to your alternate feed url, and then at a later date you could just change this. My question is, would a reader like google reader just see the redirection, grab the new feed url and use that (which would of course defeat the point of redirection)? Is there a way to do this using a 307 redirect? If anyone can't point out any technical reasons why this probably won't work then I think I am going to try and hack something together.

Jul 12, 2009 at 12:34 AM

Hi Justin,

Two years later... did you have any luck with this?  :)

I have just changed to feedburner and was wondering how to redirect readers on my old feed to it so I got a proper reader feedburner count, but the points you raised are true and I had not thought of what would happen if I would then want to use something other than feedburner.

Mar 26, 2010 at 3:50 PM

If you want to maintain control of your feed, and still use FeedBurner:

1. Add a feeds subdomain to your site (e.g. "for" the new subdomain could be "").
  2. Create a CNAME entry for this subdomain using the MyBrand CNAME snippet found in FeedBurner > My Account > Services > MyBrand.
  3. Add your new feeds subdomain to the alternate feed address in BlogEngine.NET settings control panel.

To your subscriber, it appears that your site is hosting the FeedBurner feed.

For a detailed explanation, check out this walk-thru: Feed Control: Redirect RSS feeds to FeedBurner and AdSense using CNAME

Hope this helps,