How to migrate from XML to SQL

Oct 17, 2007 at 5:57 PM
I'm running BE 1.2 now using the default XML data store. I would like to port it to SQL Server. How do I do it? Thanks.
Oct 17, 2007 at 8:11 PM
There is a webcast how to set up SQL Server provider:
Oct 18, 2007 at 12:23 PM
Edited Oct 22, 2007 at 11:43 AM
That was useful, although I'm not sure video/ audio works better than text as you have to keep replaying it.

A few things I found when doing this which differed from the example. My stuff on the current release of BlogEngine, with both IIS6 and 7, free version of SQL server which is already in use for some forums and stuff.

(a) The XML -> SQL doesn't suck up all your lovely XML posts and stuff them into the database for you. For that, you need a copy of IE, from which the "export" to BlogML thing works, and then once you're upgraded to SQL (as per the above instructions), you can suck the BlogML back it and you don't lose that.

(b) You lose at least some of your settings in this process. I have a staging server plus live, so I just rehearse the upgrade on the staging, then manually copy the settings I'm missing back from live using a one browser window on each), then test. Finally upgrade live and reverse the settings-copying process.

(c) I had to actually an a "login" to the SQL server database manager beastie; I couldn't just add it directly at as shown in the video. This wasn't difficult; I just added a "login", then the rest went ok.

-- update
I just tried to shift another blog across from XML to SQL and although setting up the database was straightforward I couldn't get the blog export->import thing to work; there was a "zero length" error message during the import of my old BlogML.XML and it only imported the fiirst couple of posts. I'm not sure, but it looks like it's failing to import any posts from 1.1 or earlier. Anyway, I had to regress to XML (a one line config-sys change, fortunately)... no SQL for that blog until I can get the importer to work a bit better.
Mar 24, 2008 at 1:10 AM
I have just lost an entire day trying to move from a 1.1 XML version to the new 1.3 SQL version. I got the sample home page running from the database. Why is the default to have the membership provider as XML?

I cannot find information anywhere on how to port the XML content to the database. Can anyone point me (and others) in the right direction?