Image Gallery

Nov 7, 2007 at 4:11 AM
Edited Nov 7, 2007 at 4:20 AM
Is anyone working on adding an image gallery to BlogEngine.NET? If not, I was thinking putting together a lightweight image gallery for BlogEngine.NET with albums, tags, etc, which exposes a pluggable interface that can then be used to implement anything from a traditional photo gallery, photo carousel, or slideshow presentation.
Nov 7, 2007 at 8:10 AM
That sounds like a great idea!
Keep us updated, and holler if you need any assistance!

- jonah
Nov 7, 2007 at 2:27 PM
Edited Nov 7, 2007 at 2:30 PM
If i might suggest like i did in another thread use flickr as the data store and where you save all the sets tags etc and you just expose it to BE.NET using the API. In the end it would allow for a saving on bandwidth and probably save you some headaches on writing a lot of custom code to manage tags and sets etc.

as an example currently on my blog I use the FlickrNet library here on code plex to display the alst 8 images i uploaded to flickr. it took me about an hour to write it not knowing what i was doing..
Nov 7, 2007 at 3:19 PM
I'll take a look at Flickr API. I am thinking that BlogEngine would primarily keeping the image meta data (tags, descriptions, comments, and finally the url to the image) that way the picture can be stored elsewhere like on Flickr, if necesarry. But also have an option for uploading and keeping the actual file in the app_data directory. Maybe under images or file directory. Just my thoughts for now. I'm still waiting to see if anyone else it working on this before I start.
Nov 9, 2007 at 4:50 AM
I started coding. The immediate goal is to implement similar functionality of that of the Personal Site Starter Kit. This would make it easier for those using that starter kit to migrate to the BlogEngine.NET and still have a photo gallery. Just from Googling around, I see that a large number of people (especially developers writing extensions) have already migrated from the starter kit to BlogEngine.NET. So for now the first release will not support the Flickr API.

Note: This is not a port of the starter kit! The existing BlogEngine framework is being re-used 100%. So that it may be accepted in the future as part of the normal distribution.

I'm still looking for comments and suggestions. (madskristensen?)
Nov 9, 2007 at 9:18 AM
I have a "functional" (as in, must be hand-held) gallery/photo/video implementation. In fact this is the third version of the back end of it. There are some controls and extensions (slideshow, random image, gallery, lightbox, etc) and there will be admin pages.

The core of it is based on the concepts of the NextGen photo gallery for WordPress. In my latest version it is tightly integrated into the core of BE and I am currently refactoring the code to make some of it's integration less intrusive, more transparent (e.g: it utilises categories as the "gallery" rather than it's own datastore), etc.

So far there are two "image source" providers the first is the local provider (ie: files kept locally) and the second is a prototype Windows Live interface, a Flickr interface wouldn't be much more difficult (I imagine).

As mentioned by tgiphil, the meta data is kept locally (ie: tags, name, provider, etc).

Uploading is non existant at the moment because my first milestone/goal is to be able to move one of our existing WordPress sites to BE and have it function as it did under wordpress. I have to be able to replicate the current functionality or the users will be well annoyed :-)

Once it is stable I'll post the source for anyone who wants it (ie: once I get rid of the temporary handlers and other hacks!). The code is built on top a recent changeset (7418 I think). Unfortunately I have to fit this in between my normal work :-)

Nov 9, 2007 at 4:10 PM
Dave: I look forward to the seeing your the code. Maybe we can merge or join our work together at some point? I have all of the backend code done, and have just started on the admin pages (Albums page is done, and most of the import funtionality), including the photo handler, but don't have any controls or extensions yet (I'm hoping not to re-invent the wheel here).
Nov 10, 2007 at 4:37 AM
I really look forward to this, as it is the only big hole I see in the BE feature set!
Nov 10, 2007 at 6:15 AM
would be a very nice feature for BE
Nov 10, 2007 at 6:28 AM
would be a very nice feature for BE
Nov 12, 2007 at 8:50 PM
tgiPhil: It sounds like you've got a long way - awesome work! Sorry for the delay writing - I've been caught up in work and family life (children!). I've just upgraded my source to 7591 and the change you/mads posted for category.parent means I can remove some temporary code and have a clean up.

I have been pulling my hair our with the picassa (spelling?) interface so have consigned it to the "to do" pile - they can wait for that one..

I have extensions that render out an album/picture/etc on any page/post that you put that tag into - which is just a cool feature of the extension framework. Basically you can write text, link in a picture or photo (or photos by tags - but I think that is another change I need to get in - more temporary code!)

I'll drop you a mail seperately so we can see how we can merge the designs and code - that would be very, very, cool!

Nov 14, 2007 at 10:03 AM
ya, it needs a gallery bigtime ... just about every website has photos .... we're moving into 2008 not 1998
Dec 16, 2007 at 6:57 PM
a brief update:

Phil and I started merging our versions around the middle of November and (in between our day jobs) we now have a (more or less) functioning set of media management changes to BE along with a range of other enhancements (like child categories, sorting of pages and categories, better page and category lists, etc) that we needed along the way. You can get the source at http// and phil has a demo site running at

Phil and I have a list of release criteria that we intend to meet before we class it as "release 1". Our goal is to offer the entire codebase back to the core project so that it move forward more than just we can push it!

There are various controls, extensions, admin panels, options & settings, etc. There is NO SQL support at the moment as the schema was changing quite often and it was tedious keeping XML and SQL up to date. The only media type currently supporting in any real form is Photos - once we get that done we will move onto video and other types. The only storage mechanism currently supported is the Local file System, again, when we hit release 1 we then plan to support Amazon S3, Windows Live and Flikr and maybe others as storage providers (or preferably someone else can write the code!).

One word of warning: this is not production quality code yet but we would really like some feedback on what has been done so far.
Dec 17, 2007 at 2:32 AM
Edited Dec 17, 2007 at 2:32 AM
would be nice to merge this in with somelike like Codeplex - Slideshow
I used that in my blog to create a couple of albums and display them in a post... meant editing the data.xml file myself, but integration with the above would be cool...
Dec 17, 2007 at 6:56 AM
@OffBeatMammal - that is a nice slideshow... It is straightforward enough, I'll add it to the list of things to look at.