How do I enable remote error messages

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0, Business Logic Layer, Controls, Themes
Dec 11, 2007 at 11:24 PM
I have Bogengine.NET installed and running, however when updating a theme I get this error:

Server Error in '/blog' Application.

The error messages states that I need to update the web.config file with,

<customErrors mode="Off"/>

in order to view error messages from a remote system. I have updated web.config with "<customErrors mode="Off"/>", but that changed nothing. Any help in this would be greatly appreciated.
Dec 12, 2007 at 2:26 AM
Edited Dec 12, 2007 at 2:30 AM
Take a look at the event log. You should see more descriptive errors there. There may be something wrong with your web.config.

Can you say if you are running this on Vista as an initial test? Or are you trying to get this running on a server? Common cause of such errors can also be that the blog folder is not configured correctly for IIS use. You may be missing IUSR + IIS_IUSRS users in the Security configuration for the folder.
Dec 12, 2007 at 3:25 AM
Also, double check that all of the folders are marked as not read only, that your application pool is running as Network Service, and that the Network Service account has modify access to the App_Data folders...
Dec 12, 2007 at 3:59 AM
Thanks for the replies. I should of been more specific. I am running this on a GoDaddy Hosted server so I do not have access to check the event logs or the IIS settings. Also, as a whole, BlogEngine is running like a champ, its just when trying to update the theme I get the error message and I need a more specific error message so I can track down where in my updated themes I have made a mistake.

I will double check that the folders are not marked as read-only.
Dec 12, 2007 at 5:19 AM
Just a side note regarding being on a hosted platform... You might seriously consider encrypting your web.config file to protect casual admins from looking at your information. For more information how you can do this in a hosted environment have a look at my entry on Encrypting your Web.Config (sorry, shameless plug).

Dec 12, 2007 at 10:55 PM
Thanks for the plug Chris:)
Dec 13, 2007 at 11:15 PM
Did you find that entry useful (just curious for my own edification)?

mrdisko wrote:
Thanks for the plug Chris:)

Dec 14, 2007 at 11:03 PM
I have not had a chance to implement it yet, but it certainly seems useful.