Semantic markup

Topics: Themes
Dec 23, 2007 at 8:08 PM
First off thanks for all your hard work. This is hands down the best (.Net) blog I've seen.
I'm really impressed with the use of Microformats and I was delighted to see that it validated. Great Work.

I'm currently in the process of designing my theme and just starting to get my hands dirty with the .Net - which is really not my domain, I'm much more a front end developer. But there's a few changes I'd like to suggest based on what I've done so far. Basically I'm trying to make improvements to the semantics of the XHTML code where possible. If this is of interest I'll keep this discussion updated with my progress.

So far my changes are:

• Altering H1 tags in the sidebar and for comments and related posts to H4 and H3 tags
    • While the blog title should be H1 there is no hierachy to the page if all headings are H1
  • Altered the tag cloud to use ordered list instead of unordered as it is in alphabetical order
    • There's a nice article on 24ways.org about this (2006)
  • I want to try and remove the | between links and use unordered lists with css instead but I'm still working my way through the code and looking at best solutions for this.

Hope this helps, I'm trying to document my changes - just for my own purposes so I can upgrade again in the future, but if you want me to post them here I will.
Has anyone else made any similar changes?

Thanks,
Elsa
Apr 10, 2008 at 11:10 PM
I need to do the same on a blog I am trying to setup. I want make sure there is a good page hierachy . So I need to change h1 to h2 and related posts to something else. Can you help? Do you have any examples of how to do that?