What features do you want in v1.4

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0, Business Logic Layer, Controls, Themes
Dec 26, 2007 at 11:30 PM
I wanted to kick off a thread to get everyone thinking about what features were missing in 1.3. Personally I can only think of one or two but I'm sure others out there have some ideas. So to start with I would like to make the following suggestion:

Separate the site.master from the themes in order to allow readers to dynamically select a theme based on their choice. By having a ~/site.master file instead of nesting it in the theme folder it is possible to configure your blog components one time and then have those appear regardless of the theme selected. I wrote a little about this in my blog http://www.dscoduc.com/post/2007/12/Theme-dependencies-in-BlogEngineNet.aspx after completing my upgrade from 1.2 to 1.3.

Dec 27, 2007 at 12:23 AM
I know I saw a request like this but couldn't find it. I believe the post referred to slashdot style images on news items. Anyway, here's my attempt at a feature request....

Blog Entry Image
1. Ability to designate a standard or custom "theme" image for a blog entry when it is rendered in "description" mode.

1.1 A blog entry "theme" image would only be displayed if "Only show description of posts" is checked on the "Settings" configuration page.

1.2 By default, the image would be displayed in the upper right of the blog entry description. The blog entry text would wrap around the image.

1.3 The Blog Entry Editor would allow the following options for selecting a theme image: (1) Do not show theme image default, (2) "add link to custom theme image" or (3) select from a list of "Standard theme images".

1.4 The Blog Entry Editor would allow the following options for image sizing: (1) use actual image size default, (2) constrain image to a standard size, (3) enter image dimensions.

Notes:
To speed implementation of this feature, a custom folder could be used to contain the standard theme images. As time allows, a user interface could be created for managing the theme images (uploading, deleting) and setting default image size, etc.
Dec 27, 2007 at 3:42 PM
Definitely Image gallery as we have already requested it..!
Multiple blog instant is also very nice feature like extensions.

Regards
Touradg
Dec 28, 2007 at 12:09 PM
A quick way to select existing tags when making a post.
Jan 3, 2008 at 3:28 PM
How about user accounts for commenting or even creating posts but do not have administrative access?
Jan 4, 2008 at 4:02 PM
ya definately better presentation of existing tags and categories during adding entry. May be like in the community server?
Jan 4, 2008 at 6:45 PM
I would like to see an option of displaying when the format of the blog was last updated. Like something at the bottom next to the build number that indicates "Last Updated at January 4th, 2008"... This could be done by looking at the site.master and/or the sidepanel.ascx...
Developer
Jan 9, 2008 at 8:52 PM
I think password protected posts would be a great feature. I've looked at creating a plugin, but I think it's something that needs to be in the core since it's related to authentication.
Jan 10, 2008 at 4:53 AM
I was thinking what would be cool is a way to build table of contents for those of us that do multi-part series posts. Wher we could do maybe something like

[toc: series="seriesname" (optional)orderNumber="1"]

Then every post that has that at the top adds to that table of contents area so it dynamically builds. Right now I have to go edit EVERY post in the series with the new Table of Contents. While I don't mind it would be cool to have an easier way to do it.
Jan 11, 2008 at 10:32 PM
I'd like to see that the documentations (wiki, website, chm, etc) will be up to date on each release. Currently we have version 1.3 an all docs rely on version 1.2. So, keep on developing (it's a great work) but don't forget documenting ;)
Jan 12, 2008 at 5:55 AM
Edited Jan 13, 2008 at 2:43 PM
I'd like to see "Links" sidebar, similiar to the Blogroll, that does not require an RSS url.

Also store the Blogroll data, and "Links" data in the database if using MSSQL Provider. Currently, if you use the MSSQL Provider, the Blogroll info is getting stored in an the Blogroll.xml file.

Be able to Edit the Blogroll, not just delete it.
Jan 12, 2008 at 6:00 AM
I'd also like to see a Manage Post section in the admin area where it lists all the blog posts using a GridView with a link to Edit each post, and make it searchable by option fields Title, Description, Tags, Categories, Author, post status, etc.
Jan 12, 2008 at 1:23 PM
I'd like to be able to see a post/page view count alongside the star rating, so I could see how much different posts were being viewed. We could then have some nice reports that show the categories/tags with the best number of views or rating. This could be incorporated into a widget maybe and then added into the theme somehow.

Been using this for a week now and it really is a super piece of coding. Well done to getting it this far and I'm looking forward to what comes in the future!

Thanks, Paul.
Jan 12, 2008 at 1:23 PM
Edited Jan 12, 2008 at 1:25 PM
I'd like to be able to see a post/page view count alongside the star rating, so I could see how much different posts were being viewed. We could then have some nice reports that show the categories/tags with the best number of views or rating. This could be incorporated into a widget maybe and then added into the theme somehow.

Been using this for a week now and it really is a super piece of coding. Well done to getting it this far and I'm looking forward to what comes in the future!

Thanks, Paul.

BUG! Found a bug with the Codeplex boards! I posted my reply which was fine, and then clicked on the checkbox to be notified of changes to this thread and it posted back and posted a second reply. Do they have a project for the codeplex site on codeplex? :)
Jan 12, 2008 at 4:30 PM
I'd really like to be able to have syntax highlighting of XML-fragments in blog-posts.
Jan 13, 2008 at 6:11 AM
Edited Jan 15, 2008 at 8:45 AM
Make Blogengine work with seemlessly with Web Deployment projects. Yes, you can get it to work currently, but themes don't work correctly. Having overlapping site.master.cs files creates issues.

Also a minor improvement would be to get rid of the extra space after a tag, in the Tag Cloud. The hyperlink is extended out, and looks kinda funny. (this should be easy to fix). Update: This was a totally easy fix: In the Controls/TagCloud.cs file just change out the "old" with the "new" here:
// private const string LINK = "<a href=\"{0}\" class=\"{1}\" title=\"{2}\">{3} </a>"; // old
private const string LINK = "<a href=\"{0}\" class=\"{1}\" title=\"{2}\">{3}</a> "; // new

Also put all the BlogEngine AppData files in a BlogEngine directory within AppData. So it would look something like: App_Data/BlogEngine/"files and folders here" This would help sort things out when using BlogEngine with other applications, so you don't mix things up.

Don't show sidebar headers for Tags Pages, Blogroll, Recent Comments, Recent Posts... etc when there are no results. Essentially, the div tag that surrounds, say the "Pages" sidebar should be set to visible=false if no pages have been added. This would be much cleaner looking.

Keep the PostCalendar Css styles the same when ShowPostTitles="true" or ="false". I don't believe it keeps
writer.Write("<div id=\"calendarContainer\">");
writer.Write("<table class=\"calendar\" summary=\"\" style=\";border-collapse:collapse;\">");
when ShowPostTitles="true". This ends up making the calendar on the actual calendar.aspx page look different.

Make editing a posts date much more user friendly, could add in an ajax calendar and time control (AjaxToolkit, Calendar/ MaskedEdit Controls)

Change the name "Slug" to "PathName"... on the site and in the database. I mean really, does any ordinary user no what the bleep a "Slug" means?

Add a "PostDate" field and use that as the date of the post, instead of "DateCreated" to order the posts. DateCreated should just be for the Date when the post was first entered into the database.

Add a "Meta Keywords" field and a "Meta Description" field, and change "Description" to "Related Post Description" or just get rid of the "Description" field (kinda seems unnecessary), because you can always just trim down the PostContent to use as the Related Post Description.

Handle duplicate Pathnames ("Slug") better. Now if you have the same pathname on the same day you are able to insert the post and the Url's Pathname is the same for both posts, but you will only be able to get to the latest post. The pathname ("Slug") field should be unique and indexed if using the database.

Get comments to Save correctly if E-mail settings are not input. Currently, you get the Ajax spinning gif saying "Saving the comment...", but it does not refresh to show the comment.

Admin Comments Manager, so you can administer comments in the back end administration section.

Images and File uploads should be uploaded to different folders. So images might go into AppData/BlogEngine/media/images/ and uploaded files go into AppData/BlogEngine/media/files/

Should have an image gallery to easily pick out images to drop into blog posts (and be able to align left or right so text wraps around images). Also don't allow current files/photos to be overwritten by new uploads with the same name.

Have a flag for Afghanistan... I don't think af.png is in the flag folder.
Jan 14, 2008 at 4:56 AM
I would love to be able to order my categories however I like, rather than the standard alphabetical. For instance, I'm a long-distance backpacker and I frequently use categories for different sections of trails when writing my blog entries, like I did for the Appalachian Trail:

Pre-Hike
The Painful Beginning
Dog tired Days
North Woods
Post-Hike

These wouldn't flow very well if they were alphabetically ordered.

Thanks
Jan 16, 2008 at 1:30 AM
I would like all pages and post listed in combo box or similar when I'm adding a link when editing, and just select it and get the link address filled. if this is already done please tell me..

thanks.
Mar 1, 2008 at 1:50 AM
CODE SYNTAX HIGHLIGHTING!!!

While this is technically a feature already (which in the 1.3 build is missing files!) it seems A LOT of people are having issues with getting it to work. Also, what I find very odd is that the link in the extensions page points to a version which is different (from all the code files in the 1.3 release) from the one that's shipped in the box. Also, if everyone is having issues with the default editor - hmm how about we change that too!!!

Also there's ZERO docs on the code syntax highlighting as shipped - does it use the same syntax as the one by Wilco? Who knows?

Another feature worth having is easy linking of one post to another via a url. Currently I have to copy and paste the URL from the blog, which isn't very nice. Unless I've missed a feature in which case - let me know how to do it :)
Mar 1, 2008 at 10:10 PM
I would like to see spam prevention on contact page. I get all sorts of empty email messages several times a day from that form. Captcha checking and subject/body not-empty validation (should be a no-brainer)

I would also like to vote for the syntax highlighting.

URL redirection when migrating blog to BlogEngine. I know you say there are stuff in there to guess the new URL but it just doesn't work very well (I didn't have a single url that got correctly guessed / redirected when I upgraded from dasBlog).

Mar 3, 2008 at 5:33 AM
Here are some of the ones I agree with:

- Admin Comments Manager, so you can administer comments in the back end administration section.
- password protected posts would be a great feature
- Manage Post section in the admin area where it lists all the blog posts
Mar 3, 2008 at 9:16 PM
I would like the ability to be able to exclude one, or many, categories from the post listing for use in alternate post listing controls. Sort of a SideBlog thingy, Word Press have this feature and I think it great.

With this you could frequently add small post to your blog.
Mar 11, 2008 at 3:42 AM
Edited Mar 11, 2008 at 3:46 AM
I would request automatic yearly and monthly permanent redirects to a listing of posted articles for the year or month.

I was looking through my log file and found that yahoo crawler (Yahoo! Slurp) is trying to access a few pages that are not available but probably should be available. Slurp is requesting:
http://blog.youth-athlete.org/post/2007/05/
http://blog.youth-athlete.org/post/2007/

I would like the first request to be automatically redirected to: http://blog.youth-athlete.org/2007/05/default.aspx which is available to the user if they click on the month in post monthlist
and the second request redirected to: http://blog.youth-athlete.org/2007/default.aspx , which is not available but would list all the post for that year.

It's interesting that Slurp requested these pages since they are not part of sitemap.axd. I didn't find any requests from either Google or MSN for these pages. Also, I believe these links should be 301 redirects (ie., moved permanently) via the Response.Redirect so the blog will not be penalized for duplicate content.
Mar 11, 2008 at 1:37 PM
Edited Mar 11, 2008 at 2:01 PM
Comment Administration with easy sorting/filtering/deleting etc...
Comment system designed is such a way that it can be attached to not just post/page but also to photos (for example in the gallery) etc...
Basic HTML comments for post/page/anything else.

Cross posting to other blogs
Show other configured blog account names below the publish button as checkbox.
When publishing a post you can use those checkbox to select where all it should be cross-posted!
Mar 11, 2008 at 3:03 PM
Referers: A checkbox excluding referers from own website
Mar 12, 2008 at 1:51 AM
How about a feature where trackbacks are displayed separately from comments? When they work, and I haven't been able to get them to consistently, they are very distracting displayed in the middle of some "real" comments.
Mar 12, 2008 at 5:34 AM
Edited Mar 12, 2008 at 6:08 AM
The ability to integrate this with an existing site easier. For example, not using the current master page, perhaps having an interface for the basepage functionality and (this may already be possible throigh the providers) a way of using a sites existing authentication.

Also, it would be great if the project could be built as a web application rather than with the App_Code folder. It'd be much tidier to integrate a BlogEngine.Web dll and copy some aspx files over rather than have to copy the codebehind pages over into your own application to compile to get to work.

Otherwise, very impressed.
Mar 12, 2008 at 11:44 AM
- Roles administration
- Post for a date(today i write a message that will be publish after a specific date).
- Option to Moderate Posts. If i have a site with multiple Bloggers, i need to moderate what they write...
- MultiBlog - one installation

Mar 12, 2008 at 2:42 PM
azevedo, you can already post for a date. Just change the date to a future when when you save a post.
Mar 13, 2008 at 1:14 AM
Going along with my post about splitting the sites easier, I've added author methods to the BlogProvider. That way the front end doesn't need to know anything about membership provider as you don't log in to comment. Would be nice if there was referential integrity in the database for this too.
Mar 13, 2008 at 9:50 PM
Server Farm Support!!!
Mar 13, 2008 at 11:17 PM
A listing of ones previously mentioned and some of my own that I'd like to see:

• select existing tags when making a post (my top request)

• ability to build table of contents for those of us that do multi-part series posts. Where we could do maybe something like [toc: series="seriesname" (optional)orderNumber="1"] Then every post that has that at the top adds to that table of contents area so it dynamically builds.

• ability to Manage Post section in the admin area where it lists all the blog posts using a GridView with a link to Edit each post, and make it searchable by option fields Title, Description, Tags, Categories, Author, post status, etc.

• ability to order my categories however I like, rather than the standard alphabetical.

• ability to have all pages/posts listed in a combo box or similar when adding a link when editing, and just select it and get the link address filled.

• optional link on the "archive" page that simply lists all posts in chrological order.

Thanks!
::k::
Mar 14, 2008 at 12:38 PM
I'm BE.net n00b, so some of this may already exist, but I haven't found it yet...

Widget configurator/manager. I've seen plenty of posts regarding widgets, but I can't find any reference to them on my admin pages, so I'm assuming I have edit a layout or css file somewhere to mess with them. A simple way to do this without editing files would rock.

Dynamic menus... Writer and the admin allow adding pages. Unfortunately, they don't show up in the menus. This makes the page "parent" field a bit useless, IMO. Having an option to automatically add pages to the menu and have submenus built off the parent/child relationships would be awesome (and should be a no brainer, IMO).

Technorati support... First, fix claiming. I've tried the commenting out the line in the web.config that supposedly messes up Technorati, but that didn't do squat for my site. Next, add Technorati to the list of options available for posts.

Someone already mentioned it, but basic user account control would be a big plus. Ability to sign up for email notifications and to allow users with an account to comment without moderation would be awesome.

Built in support for Akismet and other anti-spam solutions would be awesome too.

I wholeheartedly support the need for documentation (and tutorials) as well... it's incredibly difficult for a n00b thats not a DotNet developer to get going with anything more than a basic cookie-cutter site. Tutorials and docs on basic customizing and add-ons would be a great benefit.

Keep up the good work. :)
Mar 22, 2008 at 4:02 AM
theme-able "recent posts" module (see http://www.codeplex.com/blogengine/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=24368
Mar 23, 2008 at 3:23 AM
My humble top 3:

1. Shared hosting fully supported (esp. for GoDaddy + 1and1)
  2. Page slugs (preferably with the option to substitute /page/ for any virtual folder name)
  3. Extension-less permanent URLs (i.e. IIS 7 integrated pipeline support)

As for #1, BE.NET's dev team can count on my integration of the ModPack code changes.
I'd be more than happy to hand it over and make BE.NET v1.4 work out of the box for GoDaddy-like providers :-)

Of course I'd come up with new, exciting functionality like image galleries, multi-instance support, sub categories, etc.
Yet we better have a solid, working v1.x platform on any host before we take BE.NET to a v2.0 level.

Just my two cents.
Mike
Mar 25, 2008 at 9:31 PM
Proper separation of presentation and content for all components would be nice (ex: currently, much about comments cannot be edited to match a new theme, because some elements are hard-wired, and/or do not have ids/classes).

This would also allow the implementation of a proper semantic structure in the master: having multiple H1s (as is unavoidable now) makes a nonsense of page structure for example.
Apr 14, 2008 at 4:37 AM
IMHO, this is the best open source ASP.NET blog server product out there today. Great job, guys!

I'm going to completely agree with loiswakeman. More support for separation of presentation and content. Especially more ids/classes. Along this note, I'd like to see some refactoring to move the HTML out of the Core project (CommentViewBase and PostViewBase). In an ideal OOP world, the Core project would not touch HTML.

My other requests are:
  • more admin tools
  • ability to re-order categories
  • subcategories
  • include unit tests
  • consolidate comment email handling (Post.cs vs. SendCommentMail.cs)
Apr 15, 2008 at 5:35 PM
Hi,

My request are

• Thumbnail creator for picture uploads
    • Quick link (makes a link of a word that you type in, in the option)
    • Movable tables so you can re change the design
    • Image album, with plenty of options (options like: image size, thumbnail quality, rechargeable pictures - so you can sort them better)
    • An "about me" page. With some info about your self (age, name, hobby and so one)
    • Possibility to change how many tags should be on the first page (with some options, like possibility to change to top x tags. X is the number u type in)
    • Possibility to change the view of the blog. Like drop and draw, if u want to have the date first then the blog.
    • Possibility to take away the "actions" (tags, category, actions)
    • Possibility to have password protected blog (example, when you visit the blog you need to type in a password to view it)
    • Better smiley support. Possibility to have you own smileys and better options
    • Youtube plugin, so you can share your youtube movies
Apr 21, 2008 at 11:10 AM
Tcip: you can already "take away" the actions by editing PostView.ascx in the theme.

And you can easily make an 'about me' page by creating a Page rather than a Post.
Apr 21, 2008 at 12:06 PM
hi, I'm Korean User.

I think BlogEngine.NET is good blog tool. Especially, I, as smartphone user like auto-converted mobile pages of BlogEngine.NET.

But there's one thing expected to be added.

Korean language support. I need it.

On myself, I'm gonna review source codes for enabling the engine to support Korean.

But I'm beginner at ASP.Net programming. So, I'm not sure doing well.

Apr 21, 2008 at 7:26 PM

loiswakeman wrote:
Tcip: you can already "take away" the actions by editing PostView.ascx in the theme.

And you can easily make an 'about me' page by creating a Page rather than a Post.

If this is included in the new realise i don't edit the file ;) by the way, do you know how to do it?
My fault there, in my last experiment i found this "pages". So cool =) now i only need to found out how to edit the meny.
It should be nice, if the v1.4 could have a essayer way to edit the meny..
Apr 22, 2008 at 9:48 AM
Edited Apr 22, 2008 at 9:49 AM

If this is included in the new realise i don't edit the file ;) by the way, do you know how to do it?

Yes - but I can write HTML code in my sleep ;) Currently, you really need to understand a bit of HTML (not that hard to work out reading someone else's) in order to change the themes in any way.

You need to keep as far as this bit in the PostView file: (open in Notepad for example)

<div><asp:PlaceHolder ID="BodyContent" runat="server" /></div>

which returns the main body of the post..

and you can delete the things below (rating, comments, tags, categories...) as you will. Just keep a backup so you can start over in case you mess it up the first time!

Apr 22, 2008 at 6:04 PM
This feature may already exist but I am new to BE.net.

Comment reply by admin or author. I would like to have the ability to reply to a specific comment left by a reader and I would like my reply to be located directly under the comment I am replying to.

Thanks,

Johnny, http://www.johnnycantcode.com
Apr 24, 2008 at 1:46 PM

loiswakeman wrote:

Yes - but I can write HTML code in my sleep ;) Currently, you really need to understand a bit of HTML (not that hard to work out reading someone else's) in order to change the themes in any way.

You need to keep as far as this bit in the PostView file: (open in Notepad for example)

<div><asp:PlaceHolder ID="BodyContent" runat="server" /></div>

which returns the main body of the post..

and you can delete the things below (rating, comments, tags, categories...) as you will. Just keep a backup so you can start over in case you mess it up the first time!

You are not alone on that =) Do you use DW or VB or some other program that can tell u witch row you are in? easyer to help ppl..

Apr 24, 2008 at 2:41 PM
Yes - DW or HomeSite - but since I have already edited the file and I guess different themes use different code, my line number won't be the same as yours anyway. The file is tiny - less than a screenful. So not hard to find what I'm talking about!
Apr 24, 2008 at 9:53 PM
I am fairly new to the software so hopefully these features are not already present.

• In the user admin section you can set roles - Administrator and/or Editor, but if I make someone and editor they can create a post, but they can't go and edit their post. I would like to be the administrator on the site to have full control, but each contributor should be able to post and edit their own content
  • Pages order. Right now it looks like they are sorted by name, which isn't usually how you want your navigation to work. So the ability to add sort order would be great
  • Ability to edit blog roll entries instead of deleting and creating again - ordering here would be nice too

Those are the few I can think of off the top of my head.

Apr 27, 2008 at 11:18 PM
I think most of my requests have been covered but I'll add them again as a vote.

Additional Roles available: Author (unmoderated posts, but no admin) and Contributor (moderated posts and no admin)

Paging for long posts
Apr 28, 2008 at 9:47 AM
Hmm.

Properties on a post so you can put some arbitrary data against it for extensions
Same for comments
Type definition for extension settings (int bool date string)
Ability to hide specific extension settings in the manager.
May 2, 2008 at 8:16 PM
Edited May 2, 2008 at 8:26 PM
<removed my duplicate post>
May 2, 2008 at 8:23 PM
Edited May 2, 2008 at 8:24 PM
Though it has been posted before, I thought a more flushed-out description would be helpful...

Multiple Blogs on one installation
What does that mean for me? That means a user registers at my website (entry created in MembershipProvider), and then they can go to the website.com/blogs/username and enter their blogs. Visitors can go to website.com/blogs/username and view entries.

A consolidated blogroll could be added to website.com/blogs, containing "recent posts" from any/all blogs.

The ability to moderate any/all blog posts the website owner (me) or anyone in a certain role (like moderator?)

I'm disappointed with the current offerings/options on this one, and I'll post a patch when mine is stable...

Clean install as a control
By this, I mean that I want to be able to install BE into a subdirectory, add a minimum of modifications to web.config. The install directory should not affect the application, if the configuration files have been adjusted properly

Clean install in ANY subdirectory
Whether I place the code in ~/blog or ~/here/there/blog, the site should still work. I realize that this means taking some more code out of the website and adding it to another DLL (or even into core), but it will add SO much re-usability to the project.

Quality Control!
Um, I realize this is OS software, but some widgets duplicate class names, and prevent clean compilations under different configurations. This is just one example of something simple that the developers have to keep in mind when they make a quick copy-and-paste widget...

Documentation
If a developer adds/extends/corrects a feature, insist they add/extend/correct the documentation for that component.
Component doesn't have a documentation page on the WIKI? Create it!

Sorry, that's enough of a rant ;) But seriously, I hope these suggestions help. I'm adding the above to an older branch, and I'm hoping I'll see some of these features in 1.4 ;)
May 10, 2008 at 9:47 AM
I use blog engine since it's early development and version 1.3.1.0 have significant changes.

Better TinyMCE Integration
The main problem located on the WYSIWYG Editor, I am lazy to code when bogging, maybe a button / menu for highlighting would be help many people and also including Flash a.k.a widget like YouTube or any other service is quite hard job needs a trick to do this. I don't often use Windows Live since it only be used on Windows platform, I rely on the integrated posting engine when I am not in Windows.

WebLinks Extension
I also wait for WebLinks Extension and configurable from admin which could be use like other control. BlogRoll doesn't accommodate this and reserve server resource.

Documentation (yay!)
BlogEngine is very easy to use, but better documentation is needed for end user especially Code Highlighter since always asked repeatedly in the forum. I hope this would be focus in next minor version :).

Thanks for the BlogEngine Developers and Community.
May 10, 2008 at 10:05 PM
I would love to see a 'attach file to post' functionality in BlogEngine.NET. I added it myself to 1.3.1., but I guess that when 1.4 is released I need to add it myself again.

See the following thread here.
May 12, 2008 at 3:04 AM
I want an Events Page (connected to the Calendar), that allows for events to disappear 15, 30, 60, or more days after the Event. I would also like for it to be tied to a blog entry.

Something like.... Jons Birthday or 7/1/08 at 2pm (location ect..). Then be able to make a blog entry with photos and text about it.

I am a BlogEngine noob and had to find a good blog/event script. I really like blogengine and this has spurred me to learn ASP.NET/VB.NET. I have been doing very basic scripting in PHP for years, but this is a really well done script, still in the early phase, but I like what I have seen.

MrStu
May 15, 2008 at 9:54 AM
Edited May 15, 2008 at 9:59 AM
Having been thinking about extensions more.
Include Extension Manager in the Core.
Make Extensions derive from an interface which includes:
  • HookEvents method
  • Author get property
  • SupportUrl get property
  • Description get property
  • ExtensionName get property
  • SourceLocation get property
  • SettingsUrl

Get the extension manager to load extensions from a list at startup (from xml file or data provider) rather than specifically scan the AppWeb dynamic DLL.
Change the Extensions List page to include an option to scan all assemblies, etc for Extensions to update the list.

Advantages:

• Can use compiled extensions.  Good for commercial extensions, and also boosts site load time by eliminating compile time
  • Limits the work needed to be done on startup looking for extensions.  Only load those specified
  • Moves the lookup work to an admin page which is used less  frequently
  • Interface provides more flexibility an information than the existing attribute.  Though we could extend the attribute instead.
  • SettingsUrl gives you a way to configure the Extension more easily, like having drop downlists, check boxes, etc. by having a page (or ascx) reference you can use.

May 15, 2008 at 10:04 AM

percent20 wrote:
I was thinking what would be cool is a way to build table of contents for those of us that do multi-part series posts. Wher we could do maybe something like

[toc: series="seriesname" (optional)orderNumber="1"]

Then every post that has that at the top adds to that table of contents area so it dynamically builds. Right now I have to go edit EVERY post in the series with the new Table of Contents. While I don't mind it would be cool to have an easier way to do it.

Should be able to do this with an extension I would think.
Need On Show to turn the [toc] into a table of contents, and On Add/Save/Delete (maybe) to update the toc list somewhere.
May 15, 2008 at 3:55 PM

rwil02 wrote:
  • Can use compiled extensions.  Good for commercial extensions, and also boosts site load time by eliminating compile time
Compiled extensions are not compatible with Mono. And as BlogEngine.NET is also supported for Mono this seems like a no-go.
May 16, 2008 at 7:48 AM

TomvE wrote:

rwil02 wrote:
Compiled extensions are not compatible with Mono. And as BlogEngine.NET is also supported for Mono this seems like a no-go.

Can you point me at something that discusses why/how Mono does not support it?
May 26, 2008 at 11:47 AM

ptumelty wrote:
+1 !
May 26, 2008 at 8:50 PM
The ability to easily to see all the last x amount of posts and ability to create a new page with all of the latest posts on it?

May 30, 2008 at 5:39 AM
I would like to set a user to *only* be able to post under selected categories.  As it is, any registered user can select any category.
May 30, 2008 at 10:55 AM
I would like to have the posibility of white-listing specific referring domains. A lot of the referring sites linking to my blog are caught by the IsSpam()-method in the Referrer module.
May 30, 2008 at 9:56 PM
I would like to request a way of importing users into BE.NET from an existing database/application.

Thanks,

HyperX.
May 31, 2008 at 2:03 AM
I'd like BlogEngine.NET 1.4 to have:

1. Change the caching mechanism -> don't use singleton objects for caching, and don't chache all objects when the application is started. The way caching works in BlogEngine.NET can cause scalability issue when we have a lot of posts and comments.
  2. Move to LINQ for data access (XML / Database)
  3. Implement logging or use existing logging framework, so when error occurs we know what's goin' on
  4. Provides a way to attach a compiled assembly as BlogEngine.NET extension.
  5. Reduce multi-threded code -> the code that uses thread from web application's thread pool or creating thread itself. In a heavy and popular website, multithreading to serve one request is not recommended.

Regards,
Agus Suhanto
http://suhanto.com

May 31, 2008 at 10:38 AM
Edited May 31, 2008 at 10:39 AM

suhanto wrote:
I'd like BlogEngine.NET 1.4 to have:

1. Change the caching mechanism -> don't use singleton objects for caching, and don't chache all objects when the application is started. The way caching works in BlogEngine.NET can cause scalability issue when we have a lot of posts and comments.
  2. Move to LINQ for data access (XML / Database)
  3. Implement logging or use existing logging framework, so when error occurs we know what's goin' on
  4. Provides a way to attach a compiled assembly as BlogEngine.NET extension.
  5. Reduce multi-threded code -> the code that uses thread from web application's thread pool or creating thread itself. In a heavy and popular website, multithreading to serve one request is not recommended.

Regards,
Agus Suhanto

Yes - logging is a really good suggestion! I second that.
May 31, 2008 at 5:48 PM
In RSS is in the description of the item full body of the article...
I use [more] in my posts, so I would like to use only the beginning (to [more]) of the post in the RSS description...
Jun 4, 2008 at 7:33 PM
First off, forgive me if this has been mentioned. I read quite a few posts, but didn't read every single one of them.

I would like, BlogEngine.Web in Web Application Project, not in Web Site.

Saludos,
Jun 4, 2008 at 10:32 PM
Sergio,
Agree. However, dealing with themes files, you still have to use the 'codefile' attribute instead of 'codebehind'. This is to ensure theme designers to just plug-in their theme into themes folder without re-compiling the resulted IL code into bin directory.

As a consequence, when publishing, you can opt to choose publishing only files that are required to run the application (not included the codebehind and cs source codes). Then using Visual Studio publishing wizard alone is not enough. You still have to copy all files beneath themes folder manually into the target machine.

Regards,
Agus Suhanto
Jun 5, 2008 at 3:15 AM

Yes and no.  How often does a theme actually include new code, rather than just layout and stylesheet?

You can use the CodeBehind / CodeFile in the same site, so no problem there, and really, I think there should be an upload/install mechanism.

Take a look at how DotNetNuke does their skin / module uploads.  a zip file with everything in it, including a definition file that tells where the files get installed to.

That would eliminate any need to manually copy files anyway.

suhanto wrote:
Sergio,
Agree. However, dealing with themes files, you still have to use the 'codefile' attribute instead of 'codebehind'. This is to ensure theme designers to just plug-in their theme into themes folder without re-compiling the resulted IL code into bin directory.

As a consequence, when publishing, you can opt to choose publishing only files that are required to run the application (not included the codebehind and cs source codes). Then using Visual Studio publishing wizard alone is not enough. You still have to copy all files beneath themes folder manually into the target machine.

Regards,
Agus Suhanto

Jun 5, 2008 at 3:35 AM
Agree. I also noticed that there is no meaningful code inside the Site.Master.cs in all BlogEngine themes. The file is just there for the sake of CodeFile mechanism? So, if we can get rid of completely the code files, I think we should have no problem when doing publishing with VS.

You mentioned DotNetNuke theming mechanism which BlogEngine.NET currently does not have. Just like WordPress which also does not have that feature, I think copying theme files manually should not hurt much.

regards,
Agus Suhanto
Jun 5, 2008 at 4:28 AM

With themes files, could be done inline code, then would have no need to recompile for a new theme.

The use of Web Applications, is for make change in the code of a webform, and just upload webform.aspx and BlogEngine.Web.dll, and not all aspx, and all DLLs (App_Code.dll, App_global.asax.dll, App_Web_4c7v7j_m.dll, App_Web_29zv0srd.dll, App_Web__lmt0r1b.dll, App_Web_akiwvz5_.dll, and 12 more DLLs) that generates a Web Site.

Saludos,
Sergio Tarrillo

suhanto wrote:
Sergio,

Regards,
Agus Suhanto

Jun 16, 2008 at 5:00 PM
My wishlist:
CSS only themes (no editing of .cs files, just pick a new .css file and everything changes)
Editing of the "About the Author" in Settings

Jun 17, 2008 at 12:09 AM

My ask #1 is availabilty of test suites for major components.

Maybe you guys should put up a survey for features and/or use the "issue tracking" so folks can vote on them?

Jun 18, 2008 at 11:36 AM
Ability to edit an entry in blogroll, change texts for about the author and disclaimer from the cp.
Jun 19, 2008 at 1:18 AM
You can add blogroll entry via CP in current version of BE.N. However, editing 'about the author' and 'disclaimer' needs source code textual editing.

Regards,
Agus Suhanto 
Jun 29, 2008 at 4:03 PM
+1

LowTide wrote:
I am fairly new to the software so hopefully these features are not already present.

• In the user admin section you can set roles - Administrator and/or Editor, but if I make someone and editor they can create a post, but they can't go and edit their post. I would like to be the administrator on the site to have full control, but each contributor should be able to post and edit their own content
  • Pages order. Right now it looks like they are sorted by name, which isn't usually how you want your navigation to work. So the ability to add sort order would be great
  • Ability to edit blog roll entries instead of deleting and creating again - ordering here would be nice too

Those are the few I can think of off the top of my head.