Edit Blogs - Sorry, am I missing something here?

Topics: Controls
Dec 28, 2007 at 3:41 PM
Apologies if it's been answered dozens of times...but is there a way to simply edit a blog?

Dec 28, 2007 at 5:18 PM
Login, then at the bottom of each post there is an edit link.
Dec 28, 2007 at 8:04 PM

ckincincy wrote:
Login, then at the bottom of each post there is an edit link.

I have some sort of a bug then - when I log in, I only see the "change password" page, and the url is /login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fDefault.aspx. I have no way of getting back to my blogs!!!
Dec 28, 2007 at 9:15 PM
Just click the home link... or just type your blog url. You will stay logged in. You're doing something wrong though... can't really tell though unless you give a URL.
Dec 28, 2007 at 9:59 PM

ckincincy wrote:
Just click the home link... or just type your blog url. You will stay logged in. You're doing something wrong though... can't really tell though unless you give a URL.

Home link goes to the "change password" page. It's jacked.
Dec 28, 2007 at 10:25 PM
I had exactly the same bug : "change passworld" page when all I wanted is edit a post...

By chance, I had previously entered a second user with both the administrator and editor privileges in force.

So, facing that "change passworld" dialog, I decided to sign on under that second user, and bingo, I could edit the post.

Later on, still under that second user session, I clicked on the users panel tab (administration pages of BlogEngine.NET) and discovered that the other user (my first personal settings) where both unchecked (is it a bug here?) for administrator and editor privileges... I checked both and problems gone!

Hope that helps!

Dec 29, 2007 at 1:30 PM
Every selection except log out goes to the change password page for every user. If I try to click on a post on the left nav nothing happens. Do you have this site loaded in vs.Net? I need to see what is missing here - maybe a user control isn't rendering? What is the edit page name?
Dec 29, 2007 at 5:57 PM
Well, probably that you are having just ONE user registered with BE (BlogEngine).

And, maybe a bug, you have no privilege with BE.

I would suggest to go to App_Data folder on the web site and see these files:

• users.xml
  • roles.xml

Passwords are in clear text (in users.xml) and insure that you have administrator privileges (in roles.xml).

Let me know!
Dec 29, 2007 at 11:22 PM
Nothing seems out of the ordinary in these two files. Still not working. I also tried to create another admin-rights user but it didn't allow me to edit either...
Dec 30, 2007 at 2:01 PM
This might be a problem...

The array parameter 'roleNames' should not be empty.
Parameter name: roleNames
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.ArgumentException: The array parameter 'roleNames' should not be empty.
Parameter name: roleNames

Source Error:

Line 75: Membership.DeleteUser(username);
Line 76: string[] roles = Roles.GetRolesForUser(username);
Line 77: Roles.RemoveUserFromRoles(username, roles);
Line 78: Response.Redirect(Request.RawUrl);
Line 79: }

Source File: e:\Inetpub\Blog\admin\Pages\Users.aspx.cs Line: 77

Stack Trace:

[ArgumentException: The array parameter 'roleNames' should not be empty.
Parameter name: roleNames]
System.Web.Util.SecUtility.CheckArrayParameter(String[]& param, Boolean checkForNull, Boolean checkIfEmpty, Boolean checkForCommas, Int32 maxSize, String paramName) +800348
System.Web.Security.Roles.RemoveUserFromRoles(String username, String[] roleNames) +170
adminnewuser.gridRowDeleting(Object sender, GridViewDeleteEventArgs e) in e:\Inetpub\Blog\admin\Pages\Users.aspx.cs:77
System.Web.UI.WebControls.GridView.OnRowDeleting(GridViewDeleteEventArgs e) +133
System.Web.UI.WebControls.GridView.HandleDelete(GridViewRow row, Int32 rowIndex) +604
System.Web.UI.WebControls.GridView.HandleEvent(EventArgs e, Boolean causesValidation, String validationGroup) +1155
System.Web.UI.WebControls.GridView.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +199
System.Web.UI.WebControls.GridView.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +7
System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +11
System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData) +174
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +5102

Jan 3, 2008 at 7:41 PM
Edited Jan 3, 2008 at 11:20 PM
Ok still struggling. Anyone have any idea why I log in and get the change password page? Actually the url is http://www.texastoo.com/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fDefault.aspx; this doesn't seem right at all! Isn't it supposed to be...

I did find this - DBA here - don't understand it fully.

Event code: 4007
Event message: URL authorization failed for the request.
Event time: 1/3/2008 6:27:12 PM
Event time (UTC): 1/4/2008 12:27:12 AM
Event ID: 6696e14195b04876a6363a9a84275102
Event sequence: 8
Event occurrence: 3
Event detail code: 0

Application information:
Application domain: /LM/W3SVC/167300826/Root-1-128438792717656250
Trust level: High
Application Virtual Path: /
Application Path: E:\Inetpub\wwwroot\Blog\
Machine name: SQL

Process information:
Process ID: 3112
Process name: w3wp.exe
Account name: SQL\IWAM_SQL

Request information:
Request URL: http://www.texastoo.com/Default.aspx
Request path: /Default.aspx
User host address:
User: admin
Is authenticated: True
Authentication Type: Forms
Thread account name: SQL\IWAM_SQL

Custom event details:

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

I'm losing faith here...someone help!

Jan 7, 2008 at 8:10 PM
Anyone seen this error?

ReturnUrl=%2fthemes%2fLeaves%2fcss.axd%3fname%3dstyle.css&name=style.css was not loaded because its MIME type, "text/html", is not "text/css".
Source File: http://www.texastoo.com/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fDefault.aspx
Line: 0

I checked the csshandler but it looks like the Response.ContentType="text/css".
Jan 7, 2008 at 10:14 PM
Edited Jan 7, 2008 at 10:15 PM

It feels like you made a misstep somewhere in the installation process. What's more, it appears that you are using SQL for the back-end. That implies a customization of some kind.

With so many errors, I would erase anything installed and start anew. But before doing that, I would religiously view the new screencasts (January 3 and 4, 2008):

Since your site (http://www.texastoo.com/) does not appear to have much entries, that's what I would do for now!

Think about it!

Jan 8, 2008 at 3:16 PM
Thanks. Yeah, didn't help too much directly, but did give me a few ideas; i'm going to install VS on the server and compile from there. Something is missing, so I'm see what it does directly from Win2k3 R2 rather than XP pro and go from there.

Much appreciated.