Setting up in subfolder, paths are all wrong

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
Mar 18, 2010 at 6:41 PM

I have a website and am attempting to get BlogEngine 1.5 to work as a sub-folder in it.  I can run both of them locally on my laptop with no problem.  When I uploaded the new blog, I set it up in its own directory, at the root of my shared environment, alongside my website.  Then I added a virtual directory to the website, pointing to the blog directory.  Thus I have the blog appearing inside the website, but pointing up to its physical directory at the root.  This works in my test environment.

When I deploy, however, something is getting screwed up with the paths in the application.  I can navigate to mysite.com/blog/default.aspx and get my page no problem, but there is no styling at all.  And all the menu links are wrong.  You can see that they are appending the entire physical path onto the domain name.  So where I should have www.mysite.com/blog/login.aspx, for example, I instead am getting www.mysite.com/kbs/mainsite/blog/login.aspx.  (The corporate website is physically at "kbs/mainsite/").  Clearly this problem is also causing all my other problems, as the lack of styles indicates it can't find the css file because its path is wrong.

I've tried playing with the web.config and I set the virtual path there to "/" as another post suggested (it was already set to that) but no dice.  What am I missing?

Apr 18, 2010 at 4:47 PM

I am looking at something along this lines with one of my sites.  I have a couple domains hosted on godaddy and each domain is pointed to a directory.  so www.cibao-realestate.com is in the CRE/ folder (blog running blogengine 1.5).  Now when I go to the blog all the links show the CRE/ in the links and as far as I can tell, it is not needed. 

for example http://www.cibao-realestate.com/cre/post/House-on-playa-Chiquita-for-sale.aspx displays the same as http://www.cibao-realestate.com/post/House-on-playa-Chiquita-for-sale.aspx  I would rather not have the cre/ in the url as if I change the host at a later date none of the bookmarks will be correct.  ALso the feeds are including the cre/, the sitemap, now it is being picked up by the search engines.  If I ever move I am hosed for SEO.  I would rather take the hit now before the site gets bigger.

if you have figured your problem out, could you reply here to give me a starting point.  If I can figure out how to get rid of the cre I will let you know if you are still looking for a solution.