adding comments to static pages?

Mar 18, 2010 at 8:32 PM

Hi All: I've set up BE on several sites as a dedicated blog, always as a subdirectory. I'm interested in possibly using it as a complete CMS solution for a website, though, and wonder if there's any way to enable comments on individual "pages" along with posts? 

Mar 21, 2010 at 4:55 AM

any replies?

Coordinator
Mar 21, 2010 at 6:02 AM

One of the main differences between page and post is that page does not have comments, it meant to be used for static content as "contact", "about" etc. There is no settings to enable comments on the page and you would have to modify core library to extend page class and handle it appropriately on the front-end. 

Mar 21, 2010 at 1:10 PM
rtur wrote:

One of the main differences between page and post is that page does not have comments, it meant to be used for static content as "contact", "about" etc. There is no settings to enable comments on the page and you would have to modify core library to extend page class and handle it appropriately on the front-end. 

Thanks Rtur...that is what I expected. My "theory" driving the question is that a website should encourage social interaction on every page, not just the blog. Obviously an "about us" page would have little need for this, but if you are creating static pages that need to stay in the top level of the site's hierarchy, or need to be in a fixed relationship to other pages, yet you still want to encourage a "conversation" on them (both from a community and SEO standpoint), then it would be appropriate to enable comments on them. Another example would be a list of product pages, or a series of pages with code-snippets on them, etc.
As I mentioned in my original post, I'm interested in using BE as the basis for a website made up of both static pages and blog, but with the community interactivity enabled on both. Hopefully, if I can increase my programming competency, I'll be able to contribute to the project.

Thanks Rtur...that is what I expected. My "theory" driving the question is that a website should encourage social interaction on every page, not just the blog. Obviously an "about us" page would have little need for this, but if you are creating static pages that need to stay in the top level of the site's hierarchy, or need to be in a fixed relationship to other pages, yet you still want to encourage a "conversation" on them (both from a community and SEO standpoint), then it would be appropriate to enable comments on them. Another example would be a list of product pages, or a series of pages with code-snippets on them, etc.

As I mentioned in my original post, I'm interested in using BE as the basis for a website made up of both static pages and blog, but with the community interactivity enabled on both. Hopefully, if I can increase my programming competency, I'll be able to contribute to the project.

Coordinator
Mar 21, 2010 at 5:58 PM

Absolutely - we moved project to Mercurial mainly so that people can contribute easily. With comments on the pages - my personal opinion that there should be no pages, instead we should have "menu" collection with each menu holding hierarchy of posts that can be set to page behavior (not show in the post list etc.). Then you would add menu to your theme and manage it in the admin.