Import From Blogger Problems

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0, Controls
Jan 21, 2008 at 12:34 PM
I'm trying to import from Blogger into but keep running into problems.

I've exported my blogger blog using the tools and instructions here:

I then tried Importing it and the first problem I ran into is that it keep telling me the login faild. I assume now I have to include login.aspx as part of the URL path, but can find no direcitons... anway... now I get an error saying:

"Error: Client found response content type of 'text/html; charset=utf-8', but expected 'text/xml'. The request faild with the error message:" and then goes on and on..

Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks.
Jan 21, 2008 at 5:12 PM
Ok - I was able to work around my problems and thought I'd post my solution for those that may look at this in the future.

I ended up downloading the source code for the BlogImporter tool (gotta love Open Source) from here:

I then stepped through the code.

My problem ended up being in the BlogWriter.cs module at the line:

string oldPath = newContent.Substring(placeHolder + 1, newContent.IndexOf('"', placeHolder + 1) - placeHolder - 1);

For some reason it was getting messed up with the double quotes and going to far in the string which ends up passing a negative value into SubString.

This is misleading to an end user because the actual error that bubbles up says that the User Id and Password is incorrect.

To fix it I simple changed my settings to "Ignore Blog Files & Images". Everything worked prefectly after that.

Great tool btw!!!