Live Writer posts not showing up immediately

Apr 7, 2010 at 6:04 PM

We are running 2 sites, using BE v1.5. One of the sites is on our Intranet and is dubbed the 'admin' site that we use to publish new posts to and to perform general administrative functions. This site is using a SQL Server 2005 database as the backend. The second site is on our Internet site, dubbed the 'public' site, and is pointing to the same SQL Server 2005 backend as the 'admin' site.

When we publish to the 'admin' site using Live Writer, the posts take a couple of hours to show up on the public site. Both sites are running on servers with synchronized clocks.

How can I get the post to show up immediately on the public site, once it has been published to the 'admin' site?

BTW - I don't believe that I have seen this issue when using the BE add entry page.

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Coordinator
Apr 7, 2010 at 9:03 PM

You might need to adjust "server time offset" in the admin/settings to get your live server on the same time zone as your local.

Apr 7, 2010 at 11:07 PM

Unfortunately not. These 2 sites run on the same server, so there should not be a time or timezone difference between them.

Apr 7, 2010 at 11:10 PM

BTW - The server time offset on both blog sites is set to 0.

Coordinator
Apr 7, 2010 at 11:46 PM

Just as an example: in the admin on my site server time is 3:40PM. I use offset "2" adding 2 hours, because my local time now really is 5:40PM. So in your case, is your local and server time are the same? (offset "0"). It easily can be and it is something else entirely, just a sanity check.

Apr 7, 2010 at 11:54 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, but the local and server time are the same. The hardware is in-house.

Any other thoughts?

Apr 9, 2010 at 8:31 PM

Does anyone else have any insights on this issue?

Coordinator
Apr 10, 2010 at 5:59 AM

After posting the entry via WLW, on the blog itself, if you 'Edit' that post, you'll be taken into the Add Entry page.  There will be an editable "Date" field above the content on the right side.  The date field contains both date and time.  Is the date/time 2 hours in the future?

Apr 15, 2010 at 12:25 AM
Edited Apr 15, 2010 at 9:23 PM

I tried out your suggestion and did a test post at 6:24. The date field in question show the following: 2010-04-14 18:16

I checked the be_posts table and the entry is there with the 18:16 timestamp and it is flagged as published.

So, it is actually 8 minutes behind.

I would also like to note that the post still didn't show up immediately on the public site.

Apr 20, 2010 at 10:21 PM
Edited Apr 20, 2010 at 11:12 PM

I tested out another post yesterday. The posting time was 11:45 am, on both sites.

The post didn't show up until some time after 6:00 pm.

Since I am running with SQL Server as the back end, I took a look at the 'timezone' value in be_settings and found that it is '0'. I am in the U.S. Central time zone. What should my timezone be set to?

Coordinator
Apr 20, 2010 at 11:22 PM

There is not much to it on BE side. If you look at the code that responsible for showing post in the list, post should be marked as published and date created less than server date plus time zone, that's it.

if (IsPublished && DateCreated <= DateTime.Now.AddHours(BlogSettings.Instance.Timezone))

Do you see that post when you log in? It should always show up for authenticated user, at any time, even if it is not yet published.

Apr 20, 2010 at 11:33 PM
Edited Apr 20, 2010 at 11:42 PM

I only see the post on the 'admin' site immediately. It doesn't show up on the 'public' site even if I am logged in, at least not right away.

FYI - The post is also marked as published.

Coordinator
Apr 21, 2010 at 2:20 AM

If you can't see post when logged in, timing is out of equation. I suspect you have some modifications or specific environment configuration issue. For example, if you have output cache enabled for post list it could behave this way, pulling posts from the cache until it expired and refreshed.

Apr 27, 2010 at 5:19 AM

Thank you for all of your assistance, RTUR. The question that I have, is how do I change that setting. I have looked through all of the various settings in the user interface and in the web.config.

Can you point me in the right direction? BTW - I am using BE 1.5.