Uh, where's my post?

Jan 24, 2008 at 1:31 PM
Why is it that I can view my post when I'm logged into BE, but when I'm not logged in I don't see it?

BE 1.3, WLW used to post.

After a while the post appears, but it seems completely random. I can't find any information in the admin pages. Google is of no help and the wiki doesn't say anything either.

Can anybody describe the behavior of posting? If I publish online, how long does it take to be shown on the front page? Can I change this behavior? Is it different when posting from WLW?
Jan 24, 2008 at 4:46 PM
Hi William,

one reason for posts not showing up are issues related to the publishing time stamp of your post.
Here is some information about it: http://www.codeplex.com/blogengine/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=4828.
If your posts shows up, when you are logged in as administrator, but doesn't show otherwise and if your post publishing time is in the future, then your issue might be related to time stamping. If you set the publish time of your post in WLW explicitly, then chances are that your posts publishing time can be converted to a future time stamp in Blog Engine on your server.

Jan 24, 2008 at 4:56 PM
That makes sense, and I did touch the post date. I'll check out that post to see what I need to do.

While I have your ear, have you heard anything about double posts from WLW that seem to disappear on their own?

How about when you publish from WLW, delete the post, and then attempt to publish again from WLW generating a null reference exception? It has something to do with the post's name being the same.
Jan 25, 2008 at 2:47 PM
Hi William,

I have seen posts being listed twice when I was updating posts with WLW. I can't recall how I fixed this. I have seen this in Visual Studio and on my live hosting server. I would check whether there are actually two post xml files with the same content in the App_Data\posts folder. I think this issue goes away after you reset the application pool of your web server. I have no explanation what happens here. Next time I see this, I will try to debug it in detail.