What is 'Only show description of posts' setting for?

Jan 25, 2008 at 5:58 PM
I see no effect when the setting 'Only show description of posts' is checked. What is this for?

Really, what I'd like to do is show a short - abbreviated version of any post on the "home" page, with something like more... after the first paragraph or so.

Jan 25, 2008 at 7:41 PM
Edited Jan 25, 2008 at 7:43 PM
If you add a summary of the post in the description box in the Add Entry portion of the admin pages or in the Excerpt field in Windows Live Writer if you use that for making post entries, then it is that summary that will be displayed instead of the entire post on the main page or any page that provides a list of posts (by category, tag, date, etc.). If you have this setting checked but you do not provide a summary then BE will create a summary by grabbing the top portion (about 300 characters) of your post and only diplay that when displaying a list of posts.
Jan 25, 2008 at 8:47 PM
I do have 'Only show description of posts' checked... but I see the entire post. I also tried putting some text into the Description box - no effect. No matter what I do, I see the entire - full - post.
Jan 25, 2008 at 8:47 PM
Edited Jan 25, 2008 at 9:16 PM
Turns out to be the template I was using (NonZero)...

<div class="postcontent"><%=Post.Content %></div>

<div class="postcontent"><asp:PlaceHolder ID="BodyContent" runat="server" /></div>