Better Integrate with existing site

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
May 1, 2010 at 2:21 PM

My BlogEngine site is up and running, and I have it linked to exisitng site. for example.  Blog is at

I would like it integrated tighter though; I use ASP Menu control mapped to SiteMapDataSource for my primary site; I would like that same control in the header for my Blog.  Is that possible?  In VS, the blog and my primary site show as separate web projects under one solution.  Is that the preferred setup or did I miss a step?  

May 2, 2010 at 2:19 AM

I also use BlogEngine as a 'sub-application' of an existing application.  What I did was create a virtual directory for my existing application in IIS, then created a virtual directory for under my existing application in IIS.  I develop them as 2 separate websites in Visual Studio because they are truly 2 different projects.  If you want to add controls from your parent site to, my guess is that you'd have to edit the BlogEngine source directly to add the control, possibly by creating your own theme.  I'm just getting started myself so this is my best guess.

Jun 8, 2010 at 4:52 AM
Edited Jun 9, 2010 at 5:06 AM

But When we want to host it any server, we have not right to create virtual directory. i.e. suppose I have a 1 webspace and domain name and already 1 site is running there.  Now I want to integrate blog engine in my existing application.  Is there any way to achieve it to without create Virtual directory for BE?