Can't view admin pages

May 17, 2010 at 11:04 PM
Edited May 17, 2010 at 11:09 PM

I installed BE 1.6.1 web on a godaddy host www.wowtracks.com  and everything works fine. I also have a second website www.createdbyx.com setup and running just fine in a sub folder also BE 1.6.1.

I can login to wowtracks.com  but I can't make changes to any posts. I cant even access settings or any of the admin pages. But on www.createdbyx.com I can login and view admin pages etc and everything works as expected.

I have isolated the problem down to a location tag that I had to add in the web.config file for wowtracks.com it wraps the system.web and system.webserver elements.

<location path="." inheritInChildApplications="false">
    <system.web>

</system.webServer>
          </location>

In order for createdbyx.com to even be able to view any pages I absolutely have to have the location tag otherwise all I get is 500 server errors. But when the location tag is present I can't view any of the admin pages in the /admin folder for wowtracks.com. If I take out the location tag I can view the admin pages just fine but like I said without the location tag my other site createdbyx.com compleatly stops working.

There is a web.config file in the /admin folder with minimal stuff in it, but I don't want to screw it up by copying elements from the root web.config file into the /admin web.config file.

So what do I need to do to be able to view the admin pages? Or more specifically what elements of the root web.config file do I need to place in the /admin folders web.config file if any ?

I have been struggling with this for two weeks now and finnally after much frustration and little or no help from google/bing  searches I am getting things back up and running. Trying to get two installs of blogengine under one godaddy host has been a friggin nightmare trying to figure out what is not working.  So any help would be greatly appreciated.

May 19, 2010 at 10:02 PM
Edited May 19, 2010 at 10:12 PM

Did you get to the bottom of this? I just upgraded 1.60 -> 1.61 on Rackspace Cloud and have exactly the same problem. I'm also running it as a web application within a parent site.

It looks like it's the forms authorization kicking me out of the admin subdirectory.

Weird... I can't fix it by deleting the web.config (with the "location" statement in it from the admin subdirectory. I can change my password, and I can see that works, but I still can't access that admin subdirectory. Hmm

May 19, 2010 at 10:11 PM
Edited May 19, 2010 at 10:30 PM
I did finally manage to get it to work. My web.config file in the /admin folder is provided below. Keep in mind that the Compression module is commented out in both the root and /admin web.config files because I think it was causing issues on godaddy shared hosting servers. If I come across any more issues and fixes I will have to remember to post them here.
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<configuration>
  <!--<system.web>
    <pages enableSessionState="true" />
    <authorization>
      <deny users="?" />
    </authorization>
  </system.web>-->

<system.web>
    <compilation debug="true">
      <assemblies>
        <add assembly="System.Management, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B03F5F7F11D50A3A"/>
        <add assembly="System.Configuration, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B03F5F7F11D50A3A"/>
        <add assembly="System.Data, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B77A5C561934E089"/>
        <add assembly="System, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B77A5C561934E089"/>
        <add assembly="System.Drawing, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B03F5F7F11D50A3A"/>
        <add assembly="System.Web, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B03F5F7F11D50A3A"/>
        <add assembly="System.Xml, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B77A5C561934E089"/>
        <add assembly="System.Core, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B77A5C561934E089"/>
        <add assembly="System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>
        <add assembly="System.Xml.Linq, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B77A5C561934E089"/>
        <add assembly="System.Data.DataSetExtensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B77A5C561934E089"/>
        <add assembly="System.Data.Linq, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B77A5C561934E089"/>
        <add assembly="System.ServiceModel, Version=3.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089"/>
        <add assembly="System.ServiceModel.Web, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35"/>
        <add assembly="System.Runtime.Serialization, Version=3.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089"/>
      </assemblies>
    </compilation>
    <globalization requestEncoding="utf-8" responseEncoding="utf-8" culture="auto" uiCulture="auto"/>
    <httpRuntime enableVersionHeader="false" useFullyQualifiedRedirectUrl="true" maxRequestLength="16384" executionTimeout="3600" requestLengthDiskThreshold="16384"/>
    <authorization>
      <deny users="?" />
    </authorization>
    <pages enableSessionState="true" />

<customErrors mode="Off" defaultRedirect="~/error404.aspx">
      <error statusCode="404" redirect="~/error404.aspx"/>
    </customErrors>

<httpModules>
      <add name="WwwSubDomainModule" type="BlogEngine.Core.Web.HttpModules.WwwSubDomainModule, BlogEngine.Core"/>
      <add name="UrlRewrite" type="BlogEngine.Core.Web.HttpModules.UrlRewrite, BlogEngine.Core"/>
      <!--<add name="CompressionModule" type="BlogEngine.Core.Web.HttpModules.CompressionModule, BlogEngine.Core"/>-->
      <add name="ReferrerModule" type="BlogEngine.Core.Web.HttpModules.ReferrerModule, BlogEngine.Core"/>
      <!--Remove the default ASP.NET modules we don't need-->
      <remove name="PassportAuthentication"/>
      <remove name="Profile"/>
      <remove name="AnonymousIdentification"/>
      <add name="ScriptModule" type="System.Web.Handlers.ScriptModule, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>
    </httpModules>
    <httpHandlers>
      <add verb="*" path="file.axd" type="BlogEngine.Core.Web.HttpHandlers.FileHandler, BlogEngine.Core" validate="false"/>
      <add verb="*" path="image.axd" type="BlogEngine.Core.Web.HttpHandlers.ImageHandler, BlogEngine.Core" validate="false"/>
      <add verb="*" path="syndication.axd" type="BlogEngine.Core.Web.HttpHandlers.SyndicationHandler, BlogEngine.Core" validate="false"/>
      <add verb="*" path="sitemap.axd" type="BlogEngine.Core.Web.HttpHandlers.SiteMap, BlogEngine.Core" validate="false"/>
      <add verb="*" path="trackback.axd" type="BlogEngine.Core.Web.HttpHandlers.TrackbackHandler, BlogEngine.Core" validate="false"/>
      <add verb="*" path="pingback.axd" type="BlogEngine.Core.Web.HttpHandlers.PingbackHandler, BlogEngine.Core" validate="false"/>
      <add verb="*" path="opensearch.axd" type="BlogEngine.Core.Web.HttpHandlers.OpenSearchHandler, BlogEngine.Core" validate="false"/>
      <add verb="*" path="metaweblog.axd" type="BlogEngine.Core.API.MetaWeblog.MetaWeblogHandler, BlogEngine.Core" validate="false"/>
      <add verb="*" path="rsd.axd" type="BlogEngine.Core.Web.HttpHandlers.RsdHandler, BlogEngine.Core" validate="false"/>
      <add verb="*" path="css.axd" type="BlogEngine.Core.Web.HttpHandlers.CssHandler, BlogEngine.Core" validate="false"/>
      <add verb="*" path="js.axd" type="BlogEngine.Core.Web.HttpHandlers.JavaScriptHandler, BlogEngine.Core" validate="false"/>
      <add verb="*" path="rating.axd" type="BlogEngine.Core.Web.HttpHandlers.RatingHandler, BlogEngine.Core" validate="false"/>
      <add verb="*" path="opml.axd" type="BlogEngine.Core.Web.HttpHandlers.OpmlHandler, BlogEngine.Core" validate="false"/>
      <add verb="*" path="blogml.axd" type="BlogEngine.Core.Web.HttpHandlers.BlogMLExportHandler, BlogEngine.Core" validate="false"/>
      <add verb="*" path="sioc.axd" type="BlogEngine.Core.Web.HttpHandlers.Sioc, BlogEngine.Core" validate="false"/>
      <add verb="*" path="apml.axd" type="BlogEngine.Core.Web.HttpHandlers.Apml, BlogEngine.Core" validate="false"/>
      <add verb="*" path="foaf*.axd" type="BlogEngine.Core.Web.HttpHandlers.Foaf, BlogEngine.Core" validate="false"/>
      <remove verb="*" path="*.asmx"/>
      <add verb="*" path="*.asmx" validate="false" type="System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptHandlerFactory, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>
      <add verb="*" path="*_AppService.axd" validate="false" type="System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptHandlerFactory, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>
      <add verb="GET,HEAD" path="ScriptResource.axd" validate="false" type="System.Web.Handlers.ScriptResourceHandler, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>
    </httpHandlers>
  </system.web>

<system.webServer>
    <validation validateIntegratedModeConfiguration="false"/>
    <!-- Enable the staticContent section below to add Expires headers to images for better performance.
				 Some hosting providers does not allow the staticContent section to be set. -->
    <!--
		<staticContent>
			<clientCache httpExpires="Sun, 29 Mar 2020 00:00:00 GMT" cacheControlMode="UseExpires" />
		</staticContent>
		-->
    <modules>
      <remove name="ScriptModule"/>
      <add name="WwwSubDomainModule" type="BlogEngine.Core.Web.HttpModules.WwwSubDomainModule, BlogEngine.Core"/>
      <add name="UrlRewrite" type="BlogEngine.Core.Web.HttpModules.UrlRewrite, BlogEngine.Core"/>
      <!--<add name="CompressionModule" type="BlogEngine.Core.Web.HttpModules.CompressionModule, BlogEngine.Core"/>-->
      <add name="ReferrerModule" type="BlogEngine.Core.Web.HttpModules.ReferrerModule, BlogEngine.Core"/>
      <add name="ScriptModule" preCondition="managedHandler" type="System.Web.Handlers.ScriptModule, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>
    </modules>
    <handlers accessPolicy="Read, Write, Script, Execute">
      <remove name="WebServiceHandlerFactory-Integrated"/>
      <remove name="ScriptHandlerFactory"/>
      <remove name="ScriptHandlerFactoryAppServices"/>
      <remove name="ScriptResource"/>
      <add name="FileHandler" verb="*" path="file.axd" type="BlogEngine.Core.Web.HttpHandlers.FileHandler, BlogEngine.Core" resourceType="Unspecified" requireAccess="Script" preCondition="integratedMode"/>
      <add name="ImageHandler" verb="*" path="image.axd" type="BlogEngine.Core.Web.HttpHandlers.ImageHandler, BlogEngine.Core" resourceType="Unspecified" requireAccess="Script" preCondition="integratedMode"/>
      <add name="Syndication" verb="*" path="syndication.axd" type="BlogEngine.Core.Web.HttpHandlers.SyndicationHandler, BlogEngine.Core" resourceType="Unspecified" requireAccess="Script" preCondition="integratedMode"/>
      <add name="Sitemap" verb="*" path="sitemap.axd" type="BlogEngine.Core.Web.HttpHandlers.SiteMap, BlogEngine.Core" resourceType="Unspecified" requireAccess="Script" preCondition="integratedMode"/>
      <add name="Trackback" verb="*" path="trackback.axd" type="BlogEngine.Core.Web.HttpHandlers.TrackbackHandler, BlogEngine.Core" resourceType="Unspecified" requireAccess="Script" preCondition="integratedMode"/>
      <add name="Pingback" verb="*" path="pingback.axd" type="BlogEngine.Core.Web.HttpHandlers.PingbackHandler, BlogEngine.Core" resourceType="Unspecified" requireAccess="Script" preCondition="integratedMode"/>
      <add name="OpenSearch" verb="*" path="opensearch.axd" type="BlogEngine.Core.Web.HttpHandlers.OpenSearchHandler, BlogEngine.Core" resourceType="Unspecified" requireAccess="Script" preCondition="integratedMode"/>
      <add name="MetaWeblog" verb="*" path="metaweblog.axd" type="BlogEngine.Core.API.MetaWeblog.MetaWeblogHandler, BlogEngine.Core" resourceType="Unspecified" requireAccess="Script" preCondition="integratedMode"/>
      <add name="RSD" verb="*" path="rsd.axd" type="BlogEngine.Core.Web.HttpHandlers.RsdHandler, BlogEngine.Core" resourceType="Unspecified" requireAccess="Script" preCondition="integratedMode"/>
      <add name="CssHandler" verb="*" path="css.axd" type="BlogEngine.Core.Web.HttpHandlers.CssHandler, BlogEngine.Core" resourceType="Unspecified" requireAccess="Script" preCondition="integratedMode"/>
      <add name="Javascript" path="js.axd" verb="*" type="BlogEngine.Core.Web.HttpHandlers.JavaScriptHandler, BlogEngine.Core" resourceType="Unspecified" requireAccess="Script" preCondition="integratedMode"/>
      <add name="Rating" verb="*" path="rating.axd" type="BlogEngine.Core.Web.HttpHandlers.RatingHandler, BlogEngine.Core" resourceType="Unspecified" requireAccess="Script" preCondition="integratedMode"/>
      <add name="Opml" verb="*" path="opml.axd" type="BlogEngine.Core.Web.HttpHandlers.OpmlHandler, BlogEngine.Core" resourceType="Unspecified" requireAccess="Script" preCondition="integratedMode"/>
      <add name="BlogML" verb="*" path="blogml.axd" type="BlogEngine.Core.Web.HttpHandlers.BlogMLExportHandler, BlogEngine.Core" resourceType="Unspecified" requireAccess="Script" preCondition="integratedMode"/>
      <add name="SIOC" verb="*" path="sioc.axd" type="BlogEngine.Core.Web.HttpHandlers.Sioc, BlogEngine.Core" resourceType="Unspecified" requireAccess="Script" preCondition="integratedMode"/>
      <add name="Apml" verb="*" path="apml.axd" type="BlogEngine.Core.Web.HttpHandlers.Apml, BlogEngine.Core" resourceType="Unspecified" requireAccess="Script" preCondition="integratedMode"/>
      <add name="Foaf" verb="*" path="foaf*.axd" type="BlogEngine.Core.Web.HttpHandlers.Foaf, BlogEngine.Core" resourceType="Unspecified" requireAccess="Script" preCondition="integratedMode"/>
      <add name="ScriptHandlerFactory" verb="*" path="*.asmx" preCondition="integratedMode" type="System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptHandlerFactory, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>
      <add name="ScriptHandlerFactoryAppServices" verb="*" path="*_AppService.axd" preCondition="integratedMode" type="System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptHandlerFactory, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>
      <add name="ScriptResource" verb="GET,HEAD" path="ScriptResource.axd" preCondition="integratedMode" type="System.Web.Handlers.ScriptResourceHandler, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>
    </handlers>

</system.webServer>
</configuration>
May 19, 2010 at 10:15 PM

Thanks. Um, can you summarize what you actually did -  that looks like a web.config file there, but I'm not sure what you did with it.

May 19, 2010 at 10:17 PM
give me a sec trying to get it to display properly :P it's not saving the formatting properly when i post it ....
May 19, 2010 at 10:19 PM
Edited May 19, 2010 at 10:20 PM

Thanks. I note that each of the subdirectories under the admin folder has a web.config file in it. Perhaps if I delete all those I will be able to get in...

Yup, deleted the one in admin/pages/web.config and I can see settings.aspx now. WTF?

May 19, 2010 at 10:23 PM

GOT IT - somehow although I copied all my App_Data, the roles of my users were zeroed out - not checked. So I could log in ok, but the web.config prevented me by role from accessing the directories.

So the fix for this is:

(1) temporarily delete the web.config in the admin/settings subdirectory.

(2) edit your users to put back the roles

(3) restore (1)

and it's all good. Phew.

May 19, 2010 at 10:27 PM
Edited May 19, 2010 at 10:30 PM
philw wrote:

Thanks. I note that each of the subdirectories under the admin folder has a web.config file in it. Perhaps if I delete all those I will be able to get in...

Yup, deleted the one in admin/pages/web.config and I can see settings.aspx now. WTF?

I'd be careful about deleting the web.config file in the admin/pages/ folder it looks like it's setup to block anonymous users from gaining access to the admin pages. And glad to see you got it working :)