Problems deploying

May 24, 2010 at 3:56 PM

Hi

Is there a simple recommendation on how to update my existing blog (1.4.5) to 1.6.1.
My old posts, images, categories, theme must be intact.

I've tried different approaches:
- Moving everything in the 1.6.1 web project except app-data to my existing blog.
- I've tried to just move the core.dll (1.6.1) to the existing bin (error, the blog is missing 1.4.5. !)
- I've tried to mix my existing blog with the new 1.6.1. web project, then recompiled it but runs into compilation errors

I'm running out of ideas while the spam-comments are terroricing my blog.

Thanks for help
Mats

Coordinator
May 25, 2010 at 3:12 AM

Your first approach is correct ... to overwrite 1.4.5 with 1.6.1.

When doing this, you'll want to delete the entire ExtensionManager (sub)folder under App_Code.  This code has been moved into the core of BE 1.6.

At least, this is the one thing that comes to mind.  If you report any specific errors here you may be seeing after doing this, that may help.

May 25, 2010 at 10:11 AM
Edited May 25, 2010 at 4:14 PM
Hi and thanks for the answer "When doing this, you'll want to delete the entire ExtensionManager (sub)folder under App_Code. " Did that! The problem is, it seems like I have to move my existing blog with all its contents, posts etc to my PC, then recompile everything together with the new source-codes that comes with 1.6.1. (web project). Then move everything back to the blog-site. Well, I havent succeed doing that, but it looks like that is the direction where I have to go. I need a simple advice on how to deal with the new source code, the APP_Data folder (don't want the existing "post" folder at my blog site be replaced by the 1.6 web post folder as this would ";kill" all the posts). What should I recompile, is it neccessary to recompile at all, what folders should I not move etc. Mats
Coordinator
May 25, 2010 at 11:56 PM

There's nothing you should need to recompile.  This recent post may shed a little light.

The only thing that needs to be compiled is the BE core (BlogEngine.Core.dll).  This compiled file is included (already compiled) in the 1.6.1 download (web project).  It's in the BIN directory.

As mentioned in that other post, backup everything.  And then overwrite your blog directory with the files from 1.6.1 -- except for the App_Data folder, robots.txt file, your theme folder (themes\THEME_NAME), and probably not the web.config file.  By not overwriting these files/folder (in particular App_Data), you won't lose any of your data.  There's nothing new in the BE 1.6.1 App_Data folder that you need ... so you can continue to use your existing App_Data folder.

May 26, 2010 at 9:34 AM
Hi Thanks, it makes me understand things better, but still it does not work. After doing the move I get the error message "The directory 'App_GlobalResources/' is not allowed because the application is precompiled. " Then I removed that folder, tried again and got the same message for the "App_Code" directory. I removed that folder and then run into a problem in Default.aspx "Unknown server tag 'blog:PostCalendar'." and line in Default.aspx is: <blog:PostCalendar runat="server" ID="calendar" !!?? Mats
May 26, 2010 at 10:37 AM
Edited May 26, 2010 at 2:47 PM

Hi again

I also tried removing everything from the site.
I then copied everything from 1.6.1 web project (except App_data, themes etc) to the site.
Then I copied the old (backed-up) App_data, themes, and web config to the site.

A new error, but now the site showed up with the correct theme and the message "Ooops! An unexpected error has occurred. This one's ...."

But with no more information like exception-info.

Mats

P.s. I also discovered that THIS form are having problems when running in firefox, at least it's not possible to include linebreaks. See previous almost unreadable posts.

May 26, 2010 at 11:00 AM

Hi

I should also say that when I write "site" it's not the real blog at the web-hotel-server. It's a test-site on my local machine configured as a web-application with backuped data from the real blog. I don't dear to make any changes to the "real" blog as I expected these problems.

Mats

Coordinator
May 26, 2010 at 12:00 PM

From the first error message you posted, it sounds like you may have precompiled BE?  In your BIN directory, how many DLL files are there?  With a pre-compiled site, you'll generally have a few DLL files.

BE is not designed (or tested) by using pre-compilation (some people do it though).  The typical method to deploy it is to just copy (or FTP) the files as-is to the destination web server.  The typical BE environment has just the one DLL in the BIN directory -- BlogEngine.Core.dll.

In the root of your blog, you may have a Precompiledapp.config file.  If so, delete that, as it indicates to ASP.NET that you have a precompiled application.  Also delete any DLLs that may exist in the BIN directory.  The only one to keep in there would be the BlogEngine.Core.dll file from BE 1.6.1.

For the error that says "Oops!.....", if you're running BE 1.6.1 and you're logged into the site, generally you'll see some error details under that message.  But they only appear if you are logged in.

May 27, 2010 at 10:11 AM
Edited May 28, 2010 at 12:38 PM

Hi

" In your BIN directory, how many DLL files are there?"
Lot of App_web_xxx
Also many folders, each one containing a App_GlobalResources.resources.dll

"The typical method to deploy it is to just copy (or FTP) the files as-is to the destination web server. "
Ok

"In the root of your blog, you may have a Precompiledapp.config file.  If so, delete that,"
Done that

"Also delete any DLLs that may exist in the BIN directory"
Done that

Still problems,

Now, this is my latest approach:

1 Created  an empty site
2 Copied 1.6.1. web project except app_datafolder and web.config to the new site
3 Copied App_data plus web.config from existing blog  to the new site.
4 Maually changed theme settings in App_data/Settings.xml from my own theme to Indigo as mytheme do not exists on this site so far.

Entered site Ok
My old posts, categories etc are accesable

Logged in, entered admin and checked the different tabs:
Clicked on comments + configurations Crash!

Url : http://localhost/workingBlogEngine/admin/Comments/Settings.aspx
Raw Url : /workingBlogEngine/admin/Comments/Settings.aspx
Message : Exception of type 'System.Web.HttpUnhandledException' was thrown.
Source : System.Web

Back on mainpage, clicked on "comments" for a blog.
I choosed to remove a comment. Crash!

Url : http://localhost/workingBlogEngine/post.aspx?id=7f7e2544-633c-4f4e-a0b7-9aec78f946ea&deletecomment=88281711-c785-4d01-ba62-0c3257a12674
Raw Url : /workingBlogEngine/post/Sma-vettiga-steg-mot-ett-vidare-vansinne.aspx?deletecomment=88281711-c785-4d01-ba62-0c3257a12674
Message : Exception of type 'System.Web.HttpUnhandledException' was thrown.
Source : System.Web

And so far I haven’t event tried using my theme, which was the case before my last post.

Is there a way out of this?
Stuck with 1.4.5 forever?

Guess I need help!

Mats

Coordinator
May 28, 2010 at 12:15 PM

Where are you getting those error details you've posted?  (Url, Raw Url, Message and Source).  Are there other error details like a stack trace, for example?  It looks like those are the "general" details of the error, and there may be more details below that.  If so, that would help a great deal.

It does sound like you're generally making progress though.

May 29, 2010 at 11:05 AM

Hi

I've solved it, but unfortunately not by following the BlogEngine methodology putting all the source on the server

I constantly ran into problems where MyTheme and the contents in the App_data folder seemed to have dependencies to the old precompiled version.

I had to bring all the new 1.6.1. sources together with the old App_data, recompile it and then "Publish" the solution.

Then I cleared my blog on the web-hotel and copied my published contents to that site.

So, back to a precompiled version.

There is sure a solution for a non precompiled version but like most people with small children, 9 to 5 job etc there is a limit
in time for how much of your nights one can spend on this.

Thanks for your advices.

Mats