Multiple Blogs Under Single Application Custom Membership and Role Provider(s)

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0, Business Logic Layer, Controls, Themes
Feb 8, 2008 at 12:15 PM
I've just finnished wrestling with custom role and membership providers in order to integrate blogengine.net into my existing web application.

If anyone has questions about this and creating multiple blogs under a single application let me know.

There's a bit of customization to the MSSQL blog Provider and the sql data structures.

I've also added a httpmodule to track specific blogs.

This has worked great for me so now each of my site members can have their own blog instance, which is what I needed all along.

It's tedious, but let me know if I can help with the next rev, or if people have questions let me know.
Feb 8, 2008 at 10:30 PM
tuneman,

do you happen to have patches or anything along those lines? I've attempted a couple diff routes and am running out of time.. I'd like to be able to do both... (multi blog login etc, and multilog)

Please tell me you've got something to jump start this =)
Feb 9, 2008 at 12:25 AM
Hi ronnyek,

I'm still wrestling with my membership implimentation.

I can send new new build scripts for the sql side.

I created a new table called bg_bloginstance with three columns, blogid (int,identity), blogname, blogownerid. I then made all posts and pages the child of bloginstance.

I don't have it in patchable form at this time and I'm still working on it as we write.

I parse the blogname from the URL I.E. www.mysite.com/blogs/blogname.

I've had to create a HTTPModule to do this and I'm

I'm also making changes to the membership system by implimenting my own membership provider and roleprovider.

Had some difficulty with the assignment of roles etc. ... I expect it's going to take me more than a week to get a customized membership and role provider working properly that doesn't open up access to everyone in my membership system to a blog instance administrator.

I can answer questions if you like but am a long ways from having a patchable solution in place.

Take care,

Don

ronnyek wrote:
tuneman,

do you happen to have patches or anything along those lines? I've attempted a couple diff routes and am running out of time.. I'd like to be able to do both... (multi blog login etc, and multilog)

Please tell me you've got something to jump start this =)

Feb 10, 2008 at 1:19 AM
Hi Don,

One blog per user is exactly a feature I'm missing in current engine, what you're working on is a real community blog engine (unfortunately BlogEngine.NET in its current state is not).
I need to integrate this blog engine into existing web site which already has users, roles stored in proprietary database and all the administrative tools to manage them. If users are authenticated on my web site they will become automatically authenticated in the blog (resolved this problem by having the same machinekey in my_application and blog web.configs, now the sites share authentication cookie). I had to create my own SQLMembershipProvider and SQLRoleProvider though in order to get users from proprietary db and also map proprietary roles to "administrators", "editors". Now I'm working on community features and this is (I expect) at least couple of weeks effort. It would be great if you share your experience with us. In general this feature would make such a great addition to the engine. I hope next official release will contain something like this.

Boris
Feb 10, 2008 at 6:12 AM
Hi Boris,

Looks like you and I are working on almost the exact same thing.

I had to integrate it into my application which already had a membership system.

Like you I had to customize the membershipprovider to accomodate the existing business objects I had in place.

I also had to modify the roles provider.

It's slow work, but I think it'll turn out good.

We should share notes.

I'm also swapping out all references to session variables to use cookies.

In addition I'm having to modify the data storage setup so that each blog contains it's own data folder so members don't accidently step on eachother's blog data elements I.E., two members having "mypicture.jpg" file in their blog data.

Feel free to drop me a line with anything you may have that would be helpful, I'll reciprocate.

Best of luck.

Boris
Feb 11, 2009 at 11:46 AM
Hi Don,
Were you able to get the solution for multiple blogs under one installation? If yes, would yu mind sharing it. It looks like what you worked on is exactly what I wanted.

Please do let me know if you can help me.

Thanks,

Amit
Feb 28, 2009 at 9:10 PM
I am also looking for a way to have multiple blogs under one application. Is this possible?
Mar 2, 2009 at 11:02 AM
I tried for some time and got a hack that half worked but then ran into trouble with themes and abandoned the idea.

To: [email removed]
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 13:10:40 -0800
Subject: Re: Multiple Blogs Under Single Application Custom Membership and Role Provider(s) [blogengine:21779]

I am also looking for a way to have multiple blogs under one application. Is this possible?
Read the full discussion online.
To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (blogengine@discussions.codeplex.com)
To start a new discussion for this project, email blogengine@discussions.codeplex.com
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.
Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Hotmail® is up to 70% faster. Now good news travels really fast. Find out more.
Mar 3, 2009 at 3:17 AM
Hi,

Independent multi user blog is  something that  I need  for a project - Looking for ways to build it  using blogengine.net (or) dotnetnuke.
If you have any information/help on how  this can  be  done,  pl let me know.

thanks

Anand