Secure Blog

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0, Business Logic Layer, Controls
Feb 13, 2008 at 4:31 PM
I'm looking for a secure blog solution. Is there a way to configure BlogEngine so that a user has to authenticate before they can even see blog entries? Are there any other blog solutions that would do this type of authentication?
Aug 5, 2008 at 2:26 PM
I wanted to do something similar too. I edited the Web.config file by adding denying authorization to anonymous users and opening certain folders for everyone:

Add this, may be after the authentication tag, this will restrict the user access and redirect them to the login page:
    <authorization>
        <deny users="?"/>
    </authorization>

To be able to render the login page, you will need to open access to few folders. Add this after appSettings tag:

<location path="themes">
        <system.web>
            <authorization>
                <allow users="?"/>
            </authorization>
        </system.web>
    </location>

All this works fine.
But I also need to be able to LiveWriter, which should be allowed to download the themes. Thats where I am getting problems. I have allowed access to Metaweblog api like this:

<location path="metaweblog.axd">
        <system.web>
            <authorization>
                <allow users="?"/>
            </authorization>
        </system.web>
    </location>

This allows login from Livewriter but still does not download the themes.
Anyone able to help here?

Apr 1, 2009 at 3:01 PM
I just started using version 1.4.5 for the first time today.  It looks really great and will work well for my agency.  I too would like to make access to the blog completely private.  Nobody can view anything or post anything unless logged in.  Since I am new to this and not too familiar with ASP.NET coding can someone give me specific examples of what files to modify from the post above to achieve this?  Any information would be extremely helpful.
Coordinator
Apr 1, 2009 at 3:07 PM
http://rtur.net/blog/page/Privatizing-BlogEngine.aspx
Apr 1, 2009 at 3:40 PM
rtur your documentation is excellent and very helpful for what I would like to do.  Thanks for posting the link!