Fresh Installation with SQLServer: Errors

Jul 29, 2010 at 5:38 PM
Edited Jul 29, 2010 at 5:42 PM
When I do a fresh installation, set up the SQLServer database and web.config to point to it, and load the page, I get the 404 error page. Then, when I load the default.aspx page again, go into the comments administration section, and then the Configuration page, I get the following error:

Url :
Raw Url : /folder/newsletter/admin/Comments/Settings.aspx
Message : Exception of type 'System.Web.HttpUnhandledException' was thrown.
Source : System.Web
StackTrace : at System.Web.UI.Page.HandleError(Exception e)
at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest()
at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestWithNoAssert(HttpContext context)
at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
at ASP.admin_comments_settings_aspx.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)
TargetSite : Boolean HandleError(System.Exception)
Message : Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Source : App_Web_gdgpatzp
StackTrace : at admin_Comments_Settings.BindFilters()
at admin_Comments_Settings.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e)
at System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()
at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
TargetSite : Void BindFilters()

The steps I have taken in installation of Blogengine:
1) Download 1.6.0(web) zip file. (also done with 1.6.1)
2) create folder: newsletter
3) copy contents of Blogengine.Web folder into newsletter
4) create application, execute and scripts permissions, 2.0 App pool
5) Grant write permissions to App_Data folder
6) create new SQLServer 2005 database: Blog
7) open /setup/SQLServer/MSSQLSetup1.6.0.0.sql and run it against Blog
8) copy SQLServerWeb.Config to newsletter folder, rename to Web.Config, and update Connection String
9) Load in browser, and get
/error404.aspx?aspxerrorpath=/folder/newsletter/Default.aspx 10) (optional) Users, create new user, grant Administration permissions, log out, log in as new administrator user
11) generates above error.

Am I leaving out some step?
Jul 29, 2010 at 7:32 PM
Also, when I add a new entry, I get sent to The post is however entered into the database.
Jul 30, 2010 at 1:47 PM

Some others have had this same error relating to comment filters.  See here for about 3 other threads.  I'm not sure why the error occurs, but this thread looks the most promising for a possible solution.

Jul 30, 2010 at 2:50 PM

Thank you.  I did one last install yesterday, dropping the entire database and recreating it.  The error showed up, so I gave up for the day.  I refreshed at the end of the work day, and it was working just fine.  I'm hoping that this isn't an intermittent issue, but it's working now with no changes made to fix it.