Error in IE, Line 574. Can't find which file has a line 574...

Feb 15, 2008 at 10:37 PM
Hi folks -

I'm having a problem with my page that I'm currently building. It seems to be loading properly in Firefox but something is off when it loads in IE. IE has the little yellow ! icon in the bottom left and it gives me the following error:

Line: 574
Char: 9
Error: Syntax Error
Code:0
URL: http://www.treklight.net/treklife/

My site.master doesn't have a Line 574 and neither does default.aspx. In fact I can't find any pages that have a Line 574 in them. Any thoughts on where I can look for the problematic line?

Thanks.
Coordinator
Feb 16, 2008 at 2:23 AM
It crashes in the google ads script. Look at the code below, it shows line number. Seems like closing tag in the script commented out.

<h2>Staff Picks</h2>
<p>
<script type="text/javascript"><!--
googleadclient = "pub-7354704366114821";
//120x240, created 1/29/08
googleadslot = "6388895503";
googleadwidth = 120;
googleadheight = 240;
googlecpachoice = ""; // on file <----------------- LINE 574
//</script>
<script type="text/javascript"
src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js">
</script>
</p>
Feb 16, 2008 at 6:03 PM
Thanks rtur, I appreciate you taking the time to help me out. Your response definitely helped, I didn't even think of looking at the source file for the page through IE to find line 574 which should have been obvious. Thanks!

Now I need to figure out why the main class background colors (main.gif) are not displaying in IE yet it's displaying in Firefox? IE is no longer saying that there's any errors in the code so I can't figure out where it's getting screwed up? I thought maybe once I resolved the error IE was detecting it would clear this up but it doesn't look that way. Any thoughts?
Coordinator
Feb 16, 2008 at 11:16 PM

Now I need to figure out why the main class background colors (main.gif) are not displaying in IE yet it's displaying in Firefox? IE is no longer saying that there's any errors in the code so I can't figure out where it's getting screwed up? I thought maybe once I resolved the error IE was detecting it would clear this up but it doesn't look that way. Any thoughts?

IE and FF have bunch of incompatibilities when it comes to CSS. I would try something dramatic, like setting background color to red for DIV that uses main class, just to see where IE thinks this DIV should be. You might need to set height property for this DIV to 1% or 100% to make it work - it is one of common workarounds.
Feb 18, 2008 at 5:36 AM
Thanks again rtur. Setting it to 100% did the trick. I appreciate your help!