Database upgrade disaster

Aug 16, 2010 at 7:58 PM

I've had blogengine 1.6.1 running as a component in my site for a couple of years now, using SQl Server 2005 as the underlying database. I recently upgraded the database to SQL Server 2008, and while the overall upgrade was flawless, the blog engine has basically stopped working. The database was migrated using a backup/restore, so all the id's remained the same. I changed the connection string in blog/web.config to point to the new database, and now I'm at a loss. I've found a number of issues, some that I've been able to workaround.

1) I was getting an error: HTTP Error 500.22 - Internal Server Error. An ASP.NET setting has been detected that does not apply in Integrated managed pipeline mode.

I got around that by adding:

<validation validateIntegratedModeConfiguration="false" />

to web.config. This may not be correct, but at least now I can access the blog configuration.

2) The style sheet for the main blog page was not being applied correctly. I fixed that by unchecking the trim stylesheets option in the advanced options.

3) I could not save the settings until I removed the tracking script. With the tracking script in place I am getting the Message : A potentially dangerous Request.Form value was detected from the client (ctl00$cphAdmin$txtTrackingScript="

Now we get to what isn't working:

4) Clicking on the title link of any of the entries on the main page give me an error:

The resource cannot be found.
Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.  Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly.

Requested URL: /blog/post/2010/07/16/When-things-go-wrong-e280a6.aspx

There is an entry in the be_posts table that has a slug value of "When-things-go-wrong-e280a6" and a date created of 2010-07-16

5) Images are not being displayed. I looked at the postContent column in be_posts, and the source for the image is:

I can't find a file called /blog/image.axd (and I only changed the database, not anything else on the sites).

6) there may be other issues .... this is as far as I've got. And possibly some of the 'fixes' I've made have contributed to other problems.

So now I'm frustrated, and at a standstill as to what to look at next. Unfortunately, going back to SQL Server 2005 is not an option.

Any help and/or suggestions would be very greatly appeciated.

Aug 17, 2010 at 1:38 AM

Problem solved. Even though I've been running on IIS7 for several weeks, the problems seem to be associated with that, rather than with the database upgrade.

I finally stumbled across this page and things now seem to be back to normal.