Allowing Users to Register for the BLOG

Topics: Business Logic Layer, Controls
Aug 29, 2010 at 10:02 PM

I am new to the world of a Blog website. And I am trying to see if I can use to meet what I am looking for.

What I am trying to see if there is a way to allow users to register themselves on a blog without having the Administartor create their Userids ahead of time. Much like registering for CodePlex.

Aug 30, 2010 at 2:07 AM

BE does that now.  I am not sure what release this came available but if you use this source code here you will be good to go.

Aug 30, 2010 at 3:16 AM

I am on version 1.6.1 which was installed by GoDaddy which is hosting my site. Since this is all new to me at the moment can you explain how I would install the source code and use it? Thanks.

Aug 30, 2010 at 5:58 AM

While I was waiting for a reply to my previous question I thought I would take a look at the source code changes. I noticed there was a download link on the page so I decided to click and download the information. From what was downloaded it looks like a new version of BE, I was wondering can I just upgrade my existing BE 1.6.1 with this new version? If so, how? I noticed there are additional folders that did not exits, at least when GoDaddy did the installation. And I want to make sure I do not loose the SQL Server database that was created as part of the install. I am assuming all the posts, user information, and any other data is being loaded into the database. Thanks for the help.

Aug 30, 2010 at 3:12 PM

See this post:

Once installed I opened the solution, .sln file, and then at the top of the solution tree you can publish or compile web site.   Once I did that I was able to overwrite my install with the new files.

Sorry but I cannot speak to the DB questions since I use XML to store my data right now.  Once thing to be aware of is to back up your settings data.

Aug 31, 2010 at 2:41 AM

First of all I like to thank you for all the help you have given me so far. Being new to all of this it is taking me time to learn and understand everything. And I am getting there. I installed the Visual Web Express and I believe I managed to build the Web site. At least I think I did. The question now is where did it get built? And how do I deploy it to my host server?

I went and did a build on the blogengine.core then followed with a web site build. And I did a debug which I believe brought up the website. But I don't know from here where to go now.

Help. Thanks.

Aug 31, 2010 at 3:23 AM again I am a newbie so my answer comes from my one experience. 

Once compiled look in the folder Blogengine.NET it should now contain a web.config file.  The files you will want to upload are in this folder.  

Again,  I cannot assist with the actual upgrade since I do not use SQL as my DB provider.

I would try to contact BenAmada or rtur on this site and see if they can give better direction.

Sep 2, 2010 at 2:47 AM

Well I managed somehow to figure out how to do the install. But I still do not have an answer to my original question.

I was wondering has anyone managed to create something that will allow a user to register themselves for a blog much the same way one had to register themselves to codeplex. This will then eliminate the need for an adminstrator to always add someone to the blog first before they can use it.

Sep 2, 2010 at 3:05 PM

If you're running the option is located on the setttings page of your administration panel.  See example here

Sep 2, 2010 at 4:15 PM
Edited Sep 3, 2010 at 3:24 PM

ddartman7 is correct.  Once you enable this you should see: