Is Blog Engine a Serious Product?

Aug 31, 2010 at 8:52 AM

Hi,

I've installed blog engine and am using it in a test environement. It all seems to work well but I've had a number of small issues, as you would expect with a new system, but on the odd occassion that I have logged a thread on the forum I haven't had a single response to them! I also note that the latest update on the blogengine website blog is dated June!

I like the product and would be happy to donate to its up keep if I thought it was a serious product with an active community etc. but I'm not sure, any comments?

Regards

Coordinator
Aug 31, 2010 at 9:47 AM

Hi.  Regular updates are being made to BE.  You can see them on the Source Code tab above.  Just no official releases as of late.  The next version will be version 2.0, coming out towards the end of the year.

Unfortunately, not everyone's posts get replies.  It would of course be great if everyone did get a reply, but there's not always enough people who can answer that are on the Discussion boards here.  Sometimes there is ... so it can depend on the timing of your post whether you get replies.

Oftentimes you can find an answer if you search the past discussions.  There's a lot of good questions/answers if you search for them.  I often use Google to search the Discussions here since I don't always have good luck with the CodePlex search tool (with Google, you can use the advanced search option to search thru the blogengine.codeplex.com).

BE is moving along at a slow, but steady pace.  It's a fairly mature product now that can mostly stand on its own.

If you have any unanswered questions that are still needing attention, maybe "bump" the post or post a link here to the post(s).

Aug 31, 2010 at 11:09 AM

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback, as I said in my post I really like the product and it works well for me, apart from the fact that I can’t seem to add new users or update the password on an the admin account, which means I really can’t go live with anything as the password is well known as the standard login. This seems to have happened since I moved to SQL Server as the backend.

I will search the archives and see what I find.

Again, thanks for coming back to me

Regards

Sent: 31 August 2010 09:47
To: nickford@censia.co.uk
Subject: Re: Is Blog Engine a Serious Product? [blogengine:225393]

Hi. Regular updates are being made to BE. You can see them on the Source Code tab above. Just no official releases as of late. The next version will be version 2.0, coming out towards the end of the year.

Unfortunately, not everyone's posts get replies. It would of course be great if everyone did get a reply, but there's not always enough people who can answer that are on the Discussion boards here. Sometimes there is ... so it can depend on the timing of your post whether you get replies.

Oftentimes you can find an answer if you search the past discussions. There's a lot of good questions/answers if you search for them. I often use Google to search the Discussions here since I don't always have good luck with the CodePlex search tool (with Google, you can use the advanced search option to search thru the blogengine.codeplex.com).

BE is moving along at a slow, but steady pace. It's a fairly mature product now that can mostly stand on its own.

If you have any unanswered questions that are still needing attention, maybe "bump" the post or post a link here to the post(s).

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (blogengine@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email blogengine@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

Coordinator
Aug 31, 2010 at 11:41 AM

For not being able to add new users, as you brought up here ... in your web.config file, did you change the Membership provider to DbMembershipProvider and the RoleManager to DbRoleProvider?  The SqlServerWeb.Config file in the setup\SQLServer folder is setup to use these providers -- which you can use as a reference.  That file can be viewed online here.  The key part is making these the "default" providers ....

<membership defaultProvider="DbMembershipProvider">
<roleManager defaultProvider="DbRoleProvider" ........ >
The DbMembershipProvider and DbRoleProvider are providers that come with BE.  Another option is to use the standard ASP.NET providers, as documented here.

If you can get this part going, it may solve the password problem you're experiencing too.

Aug 31, 2010 at 2:35 PM

Thank you for your email, that worked fine and the system is now up and running, I have to say that I am delighted with the way it now works and will be using it across a number of up and coming projects and making contributions as I do so.

Regards

Nick

Sent: 31 August 2010 11:42
To: nickford@censia.co.uk
Subject: Re: Is Blog Engine a Serious Product? [blogengine:225393]

For not being able to add new users, as you brought up here ... in your web.config file, did you change the Membership provider to DbMembershipProvider and the RoleManager to DbRoleProvider? The SqlServerWeb.Config file in the setup\SQLServer folder is setup to use these providers -- which you can use as a reference. That file can be viewed online here. The key part is making these the "default" providers ....

<membership defaultProvider="DbMembershipProvider">
<roleManager defaultProvider="DbRoleProvider" ........ >

The DbMembershipProvider and DbRoleProvider are providers that come with BE. Another option is to use the standard ASP.NET providers, as documented here.

If you can get this part going, it may solve the password problem you're experiencing too.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (blogengine@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email blogengine@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com