Can anyone help with setup?

Sep 14, 2010 at 11:51 PM

I hear so many people rave about how easy everything is...

Hours later, I still can't even get started.

I tried following Nyveldt's installation screencast and get hung up on several of the simple steps:

-- remove "read-only" option for "App-Data" folder: ACK!!  When I deselect "Read-only", click "Apply" and "OK", it goes right back to "Read-only" after I close the "Properties" dialog box. Huh?!

-- give "write" permission to aspnet user. In IIS 6, it is "aspnet"; in IIS 7, it is "Network Services". But what about IIS 5?

--navigate to folder in firefox: "Problem loading page. Unable to connect"

Sep 15, 2010 at 1:56 AM

Hi onco, I'm running IIS 5 set the permission for the ASPNET user. This was easy and worked exactly as shown on the install video if you've watched it.

The read-only checkbox took some more research and work to figure out.

If you right-click on the App-Data folder and bring up the properties there needs to be a "Security" tab in the property window box. If you don't see the security tab close the property window, click on (in a windows Explorer):

Tools - Folder Options

Then click on the "View" tab

Now scroll to the bottom and find "Use simple file sharing (recommended)"  and removed the check and save it.

Bring up the properties for the App-Data again and in the now visible "Security" tab remove the read-only attribute.

This is for Windows XP and I don't know if it's the same on Vista or other operation systems.

Sep 15, 2010 at 3:32 AM

SurvivalCrafters,

It is frustrating to have so much trouble doing something that should be very simple. Thank-you for your patience.

1. "Read-only": I have the security tab, but I see "Read-only" attribute only on the "General" tab, not on the "Security" tab. I remove the attribute. Then, if I hit OK, close the properties window, and then reopen it, the "Read-only" box is again checked.

2. "Write permissions to the App_Data folder": I have watched the video (http://nyveldt.com/misc/BE15Install.html) at least 10 times, trying very hard to do everything exactly as he does it. When I get to this point, I click "Add" and enter "aspnet". The response is a dialog box with the message: "An object named "aspnet" cannot be found. Check the selected object types and location for accuracy and ensure that you typed the object name correctly, or remove this object from the selection." The names in the group/user box in the "security" tab are "Administrators (DAN-4500\Dan)", "Dan (DAN-4500\Dan)", and "SYSTEM"--no sign of anything looking like aspnet.

I was able to set the folder as an application in the IIS manager and did select "ASP.NET version: 2.0.50727" exactly as in the video.

(And I am working on XP too.)

Sep 15, 2010 at 4:58 AM
onco111 wrote:

I click "Add" and enter "aspnet". The response is a dialog box with the message: "An object named "aspnet" cannot be found. Check the selected object types and location for accuracy and ensure that you typed the object name correctly, or remove this object from the selection." The names in the group/user box in the "security" tab are "Administrators (DAN-4500\Dan)", "Dan (DAN-4500\Dan)", and "SYSTEM"--no sign of anything looking like aspnet.

I just did this part, so maybe I can offer a bit of help. Give up trying to type in aspnet or finding it in the list. In IIS7 it was "NETWORK SERVICE" (which the video guy quickly said, but didn't show) that worked. From those you list, I'd try "SYSTEM". Click to highlight SYSTEM in the upper window box, then click the "Full Control" box below. Hopefully, that will make everything happy for you!

Coordinator
Sep 15, 2010 at 5:45 AM

In IIS 5 on XP it is by default computername\ASPNET. You can use trick described here to know for sure.

Sep 15, 2010 at 4:43 PM

Thank-you for chiming in, debrule and rtur.

I read through your "Who's running the show?" page and got stuck on: "Go to your site and navigate to “check” folder, it will show you file access permissions relevant to your BE installation." The problem is that I can't get my BE site going on localhost.

Questions I already know the answer to (viz., "No, obviously", but these are things I tried after typing localhost/testblog/check/default.aspx in Firefox told me "Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at localhost." ): Do I "go to [my] site" in Windows Explorer and open default.aspx with Dreamweaver or Firefox? Do I "go to [my] site" in IIS and open default.aspx in Notepad?

I hope you can stick with me through this. Despite not knowing much about networks, I am reasonably comfortable with computers (scientific programming in C++, VisualBasic for Excel and Word, a little with PHP and MySQL on a local Apache setup). Right now I'm president of a non-profit and need to set up a blog-centric website (with additional features). Soon I am also starting a statistical consulting and analysis business and want to develop a website that I have complete knowledge and control of. So I will keep at it until I find good solutions, whether with BE or writing my own program (although I'd rather not try to reinvent the wheel).

Sep 15, 2010 at 5:14 PM

Given the comment you made about PHP and Apache, you might be happier with Wordpress. It's PHP. I'm using Wordpress on an aspx website, which made it a little tricky to make asp.net and php to talk to each other (which is why I'm trying to integrate Blogengine now), but as a stand-alone, Wordpress may work better for you. I'm using a Windows server and php sites run fine on it. Wordpress has the same sort of features as Blogengine but does have somewhat more online support as more people 'out there' use php. Wordpress does run off a database; don't know if that's an issue for you or not.

Sep 15, 2010 at 6:24 PM

debrule, Right now I have someone working on a "Registration" component for the website. It'll track and communicate with thousands of users as they sign up for events, change their contact data, etc. It'll interface with two other, larger databases as well. In many ways, this will be the heart of the website and will all be in asp.net. But more visible and simple on the site will be an array of simpler static information pages, blog-like news pages (with space for reader comments), and additional javascript side-features. Can we get away with PHP Wordpress with a link to asp.net registration program? Or would that require too much communication between asp.net and PHP to be practicable or would a host that does both PHP and asp.net be more expensive or hard-to-find or harder to use?

Sep 15, 2010 at 7:06 PM

Our current Registration program (and website as a whole) is jsp, but we want to move it over to something more transparent and easy-to-use. For now, the Registration program will have to remain jsp, but we need to redesign the rest of the website to a blog-like format and link to the registration program on a separate jsp server. At some point, we'll move the registration program over to aspx and integrate it into the main website. What kinds of communication troubles were you having between asp.net and PHP? I'd hate to go with Wordpress and then not have it work...