Integrating BlogEngine.NET into ASP.NET website

Sep 23, 2010 at 5:07 AM

I have my personal site developed in ASP.NET.  I want to create a blog using BlogEngine.NET but I want that to be *part* of my overall site - not the entire site devoted to the blog.

For example, the start page is an introduction to my company and there is a link at top top menu - a tab - that says "Blog".  From there I want to use BlogEngine.net. 

How hard is this to set-up?

Again, it's an ASP.NET site where the blog is a link from the top menu.

Sep 28, 2010 at 7:39 PM

I want to do the exact same thing as you. I asked about a month ago without any answer, it seams that it is probably hard to do. I don't know, I am new at this. BUt, if you find anything or heard positively about something thatmight help, can you let me know at info@jouvaderm.com

Thanks a lot

Eric Morin

Sep 28, 2010 at 9:49 PM

Follow these steps to put BlogEngine into a subfolder of your site:

1. Create a subfolder, ex. Blog.
  2. Download the latest release of BlogEngine and copy the files into the blog-folder.
  3. Use IIS Management Console to turn the subfolder into an application. Right-click the folder node and click the menu item Convert to application (if my memory serves me correctly).

I hope this helps :-)

Oct 5, 2010 at 6:34 PM

I did the exact steps you have above - Step 3 - I made the subfolder into an application in my IIS - but it does not work. Please see my detailed post here in the discussions section dated October 5, 2010. I really have no idea why this is not working. Any help would really be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Coleen

Oct 5, 2010 at 9:20 PM
Here are some steps that should still be relevant up to version 1.5 and maybe 1.6 (although I haven't tested with 1.6) ... let me know if you have any questions. 
Oct 5, 2010 at 9:22 PM
bbqchickenrobot wrote:
Here are some steps that should still be relevant up to version 1.5 and maybe 1.6 (although I haven't tested with 1.6) ... let me know if you have any questions. 

Also, this does NOT require you to turn the /blog/  (or whatever you name you choose) into an application dir via IIS. 

Oct 5, 2010 at 11:20 PM

Thanks so much! I do have a dumb question though... Step 5. Copy the BlogEngine.Web files into the 'blog' sub dir you just created. Do I copy everything in the BlogEngine.Web file? Obviously I am presuming that the code for the App_Code and App_Data that I have just copied over to those new directories do not need to be in the new Blog directory as well, but there are a LOT of other files. From the Admin, API, App_GlobalResources on down to the Widgets directory and then all of the .aspx files (default, archive the .js file down to the wlwmanifest.xml file) Do ALL of those files need to be copied over?

Oct 6, 2010 at 2:25 PM

After reading through the instructions I see that most of my questions on which files to move/copy, etc. have been answered, but I do have one about this step: 13. Open the file ~/blog/pages/settings.aspx.cs - there is NO separate pages directory. There is one under the Admin folder, but NOT a stand alone directory that contains a settings.cs file.  I am presuming that the file in Admin/pages/settings.cs is the file that I am supposed to be editing? My question is, should this sub-directory (pages) be moved to be directly under the new blog directory? Could anyone please clarify? Thank you!

Oct 12, 2010 at 1:57 AM
coleenh wrote:

Thanks so much! I do have a dumb question though... Step 5. Copy the BlogEngine.Web files into the 'blog' sub dir you just created. Do I copy everything in the BlogEngine.Web file? Obviously I am presuming that the code for the App_Code and App_Data that I have just copied over to those new directories do not need to be in the new Blog directory as well, but there are a LOT of other files. From the Admin, API, App_GlobalResources on down to the Widgets directory and then all of the .aspx files (default, archive the .js file down to the wlwmanifest.xml file) Do ALL of those files need to be copied over?

Items 6 - 12 should answer this....  if you have a specific Q I'll try to answer it.  But, what I did was to copy everything over, then from the new location proceed with steps 6 - 12. A bit confusing I suppose... 

Oct 12, 2010 at 1:59 AM
coleenh wrote:

After reading through the instructions I see that most of my questions on which files to move/copy, etc. have been answered, but I do have one about this step: 13. Open the file ~/blog/pages/settings.aspx.cs - there is NO separate pages directory. There is one under the Admin folder, but NOT a stand alone directory that contains a settings.cs file.  I am presuming that the file in Admin/pages/settings.cs is the file that I am supposed to be editing? My question is, should this sub-directory (pages) be moved to be directly under the new blog directory? Could anyone please clarify? Thank you!

This was written for BE.NET 1.5  ...  maybe it's fixed or moved in 1.6 however.  I am actually going to be upgrading my blog to the latest and I'll repost if there are any changes.  You could of course do a project search for "App_GlobalResource" and see if you will need to make the change.  Because we moved this file to the web root this change was/is required.  Maybe it's been changed for 1.6????