Update from XML to Database

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0, Business Logic Layer, Controls
Feb 26, 2008 at 7:48 AM
Hi all,

I used XML setting to my blog. I want to change it to MSSQL Database without any lose in post.

Please help me to update my blog from XML to MSSql database.

Thanks in Advance
Feb 27, 2008 at 7:01 PM
Do backups before anything. I would copy the existing BE.N to a new web site and leave the orginal alone. Set it up the new BE.N site to use MSSQL. Then run them importer from the original blog to the new blog. Then swap the old site with the new one.
Mar 24, 2008 at 1:29 AM
How do you run the importer? I'm trying to port existing XML content from version to the new 1.3 SQL version. There is no Import link in the setting of the 1.1 version. When I tried to run the Import tool from the new version I got a "cannot run application" error message. In any case, what am I importing and from where??

Any help appreciated :-)
Mar 24, 2008 at 11:38 AM
You use an old version, you need to walk into 1.2 and then to 1.3.
1) Get 1.2 release and install it in your PC, a new installation with XML provider. This version is more near to that you use than 1.3.
2) Copy by hand all that you find in App_Data folder to the new installation. Try it.
3) Now export blogs as a BlogML file.
4) Get 1.3 release and install it in your PC, a new installation with SQL provider.
5) Import from the BlogML file. Try all, settings may need some work.
6) Now you have a database and can restore in your hosting service.
Mar 24, 2008 at 1:53 PM
Hi Julio,

Thank you for this information. It's going to be helpful not just to me; I was not familiar with BlogML until I ran into this problem.

Anthony :-)