Disable Multiple Categories Feature?

Sep 29, 2010 at 10:13 AM

Hey,

Is there a setting I can toggle thats tucked away in one of the files so that I can disable multiple categories?

I have created a blog which depending on the category it will show a different header graphic. I thought the only solution was to just tell the client "dont tick more than one category per post" but I just added the blog to Windows Live Writer and noticed in the capabilities it has:

Categories: Yes
Multiple Categories: Yes

Which leads me to think I might have some control over this?

Coordinator
Sep 29, 2010 at 12:40 PM

There's not a built-in feature to disable multiple categories.

You could limit the number of checkboxes checkable on the Add Entry page in the control panel, but since you're using WLW, that wouldn't help.

You could try changing those "Yes" capability values to "No".  I'm not sure what effect that would have.  I think "Categories" and "Multiple Categories" are just properties that WLW exposes, and BE is just providing values/answers.

If you change Yes to No, you might need to re-add the blog as a new account in WLW for the capabilities you changed to go into effect.

Another option would be to create a BE Extension that would look to see if a Post being saved is being saved with more than one category.  If so, it could remove the extra categories so only 1 remains.  The extension would fire regardless if the person is adding the Post in the control panel, or thru WLW.

Sep 29, 2010 at 2:07 PM

Ben,

Thanks for the reply.

When you say about changing the Yes to No and see how WLW reacts do you mean this is in a config file somewhere in the blog or its a config file somewhere in WLW?