Virtual directory errors

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
Oct 5, 2010 at 5:38 PM

I could use a little help installing this application. I get several errors when installing it in my web project. I extracted the BlogEngine.Web file directly to my web project as a separate directory so the tree looks like this: wwwroot/mymaindirectory/myclientsdirectory/blogengine.web. Upon opening the default.aspx file, the very first line of code

<%@ Page Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeFile="default.aspx.cs" Inherits="_default" %>

gives an error as you roll over it (you know - the "blue squiggly error") the error is long and as follows: C:\inetpub\wwwroot\wedevelopwebs\clientsdirectory\blogengine.web\default.aspx: ASP.NET runtime error: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS. (C:\inetpub\wwwroot\wedevelopwebs\clientsdirectory\blogengine.web\web.config line 9)

I understand that I need to set my IIS to give permission to run the virtual directories as read/write - which I did - at least I THINK I did. does anyone have exact instructions on how to do this for my local host? This is what I did and obviously it does not seem to have worked:

I opened my control panel, went to Administrative Tools, Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager and under connections went to my directory "Default Web Site" list, it lists my entire tree of projects under my wwwroot file (I have A lot of them!) and I went to wedevelopwebs and under it, selected the directory for my client, and set the permissions (removed the read only) as well as "add virtual directory" and set the client's directory inside my main directory to be a virtual directory. I used pass-through authentication and clicked on the "Test Settings" the authentication comes up with a green check, but the authorization has a yellow caution, and the error I get when I try to run it in my local host is:

Configuration Error
Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. 
Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately. Parser Error Message: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond
application level. This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS. Source Error:
Line 7: Line 8: Line 9: Line 10: Line 11:Source File: C:\inetpub\wwwroot\wedevelopwebs\clientsdirectory\blogengine.web\web.config Line: 9

Can anyone help me with this? I am sorry, I really haven't a clue what else to do. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks

Coleen