1.6.x - can Preview themes, but pages are unstyled

Topics: Themes
Oct 8, 2010 at 5:45 AM

I've had a problem with BlogEngine 1.6 and 1.6.1, hosted on Arvixe.com's PersonalClass ASP hosting.

I was able to install version 1.5 with a minimum of configuration and it worked well, but I wanted to upgrade to 1.6 and more recently 1.6.1 to take advantage of anti-spam measures. However, I have had a problem with the newer versions - after installation, the public pages are unstyled, with no CSS applied as far as I can tell. The admin pages (Control Panel) are properly styled, and I can Preview themes and have the Preview open (off my domain - e.g., http://mydomain.com/?theme=Indigo) in a new browser tab. However, when I Save Settings and go to the front page, I get the same unstyled page that was displayed after initial installation.

Has this been seen on other hosting or on Arvixe.com, and is there an easy fix? Is there something I'm missing in the installation?

Oct 9, 2010 at 7:07 PM

Follow-up:

Here's what support at Arvixe.com has to say:

I believe you may have missed uploading some files. This is because the styling is not showing due to a 404 on this -

http://geekmyfitness.com/themes/XtremeBlogg/css.axd

 

Of course, this "explanation" doesn't explain why the URLs generated by Preview (e.g., http://geekmyfitness.com/?theme=XtremeBlogg) show what appears to be a fully-themed and CSS-styled page.

However, I'm about ready to say "f--k it" to BlogEngine.NET -- it's pretty obviously not ready for prime time. Wordpress.com, here I come...

Oct 15, 2010 at 9:54 PM

Well, I guess it's time for me to dig into a serving of crow, because Arvixe's support seems to have gotten the issue correct and I was wrong.

I blew away the site and domain, used their File Manager to wipe out the site's directories from my file space, then re-created the domain, choosing the option of (re)creating the site at the same time, which also (re)created the site's directories. This time, I went into the wwwroot directory and renamed the web.config and other files/folders there. I then took a freshly downloaded version of BlogEngine 1.6.1 , extracted to a directory on my PC, and uploaded the contents of the directory to the wwwroot.

Previously, I updated the BlogEngine Themes folder with several additional downloaded themes before uploading to Arvixe, but this time I uploaded just the BlogEngine 1.6.1. download with just the three included themes (Indigo, Mobile, and Standard). I then uploaded several additional themes from my PC straight to the Themes folder on my Arvixe site. I've been able to apply each of the uploaded themes without any problems (like totally losing the CSS info).

I still have the directory containing the "problem" version and all the added Themes, so I'm going to see if I can determine which file might have gotten clobbered when I "updated" with the additional themes. But I've gotten a couple of sites online (with the default boilerplate, but with the admin login pw changed, of course), so hooray...