Not able to log into my blog all of the sudden

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
Oct 13, 2010 at 3:08 PM

I run my blog at timmathews.com.

I have been adding blog entries for months, no worries.

Now, today, I am unable to log in. I get to the log in page, put in my username and pass, then it takes me to login.aspx but shows a 404 on the page that is displayed.

Weird.

I have tried with FF, IE8, and Chrome.

All the same. No logging in for me.

Any help?

I have not changed anything on the server, blog, sidebar, etc. in weeks.

Coordinator
Oct 14, 2010 at 8:27 AM

When you see the 404 error, is that error404.aspx, or a generic error message that comes directly from IIS ?

If you're at the error404.aspx page, this could be because an unhandled error is occurring, and with the default configuration, you are redirected to error404.aspx when this happens.  If this is the case, you can modify the custom errors tag in your web.config file so it won't do the generic redirect and instead show you some helpful error details (at least that's what should happen).  You would want your custom errors tag to look like:

<customErrors mode="Off">

Oct 14, 2010 at 12:56 PM

login.aspx is the page in the url and the 404 is shown instead of the page content. This only occurs when the correct username/pass is used.

Coordinator
Oct 14, 2010 at 8:06 PM

Is it a 404 from IIS, or is it an error page from BE where you still see the BE theme?

After you get the 404 error, if you navigate back to the blog, are you logged in?

Coordinator
Oct 14, 2010 at 10:21 PM

Also, if you haven't already, I would restart the blog by making any change to the web.config file (add a space, etc).  It's possible something needs to get cleared out.