Using ASP.NET membership and MySQL for other data.

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
Nov 5, 2010 at 5:27 AM

First of all I would to thank everyone working on making this great app freely available to others.

I am embarking on doing what the title would like to know if it's possible any known issues.

I guess if I use mySQL as db provider for data and use my existing ASP.NET membership Databse in Membership and role provider sections that should take care of this.

Thanks in advance for any comments, advise.

Nov 5, 2010 at 7:15 AM

I haven't tested that scenario, but it should work with no problems.

Nov 5, 2010 at 4:11 PM

Thanks Ben,

I just did a odady Installation and everything went well except hat I get this error message...any ideas what could be wrong. It works fine when I run on my dev machine.

So compared file by file and don't see anything.

Description: An error occurred during the compilation of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific error details and modify your source code appropriately.

Compiler Error Message: CS0246: The type or namespace name 'BlogEngine' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Source Error:

Line 4:  using System.Collections.Generic;
Line 5:  using System.Text.RegularExpressions;
Line 6:  using BlogEngine.Core;
Line 7:  using BlogEngine.Core.Web.Controls;
Line 8:  

Source File: d:\hosting\6325599\html\bablog\User controls\PostList.ascx.cs    Line: 6

Nov 5, 2010 at 6:00 PM

In the BIN directory, do you have a BlogEngine.Core.dll file in there?  Are there other DLLs in the BIN directory?  Are you precompiling the site?

Nov 5, 2010 at 8:39 PM

Hi Ben,

This was a godaddy automated installation So I did not precompile or do anything. I have the following 3 files in BIN directory

1. BlogEngine.Core.dll
  2. BlogEngine.Core.pdb
  3. BlogEngine.Core.xml

The only change I made was to web.config to turn the custom errors off so that I can see the actual error.

Nov 5, 2010 at 9:32 PM

Those files look good for the BIN directory.

You're getting the error, but you haven't switched to MySQL yet?  In other words, you're getting that error right after using the GoDaddy installation option?  If so, I would maybe try re-installing it, or asking them about it.  There could be something specific with your site plan or configuration that clashes with their automatic installation option.

Nov 6, 2010 at 7:03 AM

Thanks Ben. Yes, it was something to do with godaddy...issues with virtual folder not set up properly as application. Finally they got it to work but the error comes back ocassionally and I think it's just their servers behaving bad.

Yes I havn't swiched to MySQL as I was able to free up a MS SQL and use the automatic installation. However I was able to configure Membership and Role providers to use my existing aspnet member setup by just adding a new connection string.

You will have to add the 2 roles and the admin user to your existing member database before hand to make the switch easy.

Overall I should say excellent product with great features. Can't ask for more and hope I will be able to contribute in some way in future.