settings.xml in App_Data folder needs to be changed for Upgrades

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
Nov 9, 2010 at 6:37 PM

When upgrading BE to the next release, the most difficult part is transferring the old settings.xml elements to the new release. I suggest that the BE dev team adopt this approach for how the settings.xml is written:

<--- Comments explaining how to proceed --->

<--- Copy and Paste these elements from your old settings.xml file ---->

<---- These are the new elements ---- >

<--- These elements have been renamed ---- >

The difficulty is that everything is out of order and there are many long and tedious xml elements to hunt down, one must not erase new setting elements introduced in the new release and must keep track of the old ones to transfer over and note any elements that have been renamed and transfer over the correct setting.

So if all the elements had a standard order and where in commented regions as to which ones could be copy and pasted over, another region for ones that were renamed, and anohter region for new elements so people cn easily see what's what and where elements are located with comments explaining how to copy over and set the new elements for an upgrade.

Let me know if can work, because upgrading is a pain right now, because of this.

Nov 10, 2010 at 11:03 PM

Hi.  You shouldn't have to really worry about any of this.  The order of the elements is insignificant.  And if there are elements in the new settings.xml file that aren't in your old one, that is okay too.  You should be able to just put your old settings.xml file in the App_Data folder of the new BE installation.  When you go into the control panel of the new BE installation and save the settings, the settings.xml will automatically get updated.  So manually touching the settings.xml file is not at all necessary.

Nov 11, 2010 at 12:29 AM

Really? I didn't see this in the upgrade docs. So by copying over the old settings.xml file to the new upgrade install and saving the settings from the control panel it gets updated to the new settings. That doesn't seem intuitive when thinking about it,  you would think the confutation files would be incompatible and mess something up. Does this work for all the files in the App_Data folder like users.xml and roles.xml, too?

Nov 11, 2010 at 12:56 AM

Yes, sorry for the confusion.  Actually, when upgrading, what you can do is copy your entire App_Data folder to the new installation.  Just overwrite what ever is there.

The other approach is to install the new version of BE over your old version.  Except, you would not overwrite the App_Data folder (i.e. leave your old App_Data folder intact).

For going from BE 1.6 (or an older version) to BE 2.0, the direction you're doing it is probably better.

Nov 11, 2010 at 2:06 AM

OK I'll try it that way on my Dev machine and get used to it then. Thanks for your help. If you have time I had another post I put on the discussion here -

This would seem like a needed feature since most blog engines I think allow for custom html headers per page and post. I need it for Facebook links so I get individual thumbnails per page and posts, but I'm sure there are plenty of other uses for it.