Parser Error Message: Unknown server tag 'blog:PostCalendar'.

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0, Business Logic Layer, Controls, Themes
Nov 18, 2010 at 5:51 PM

Hi everyone,

I have a website and and has been working fine until today when I suddenly got an error message when I tried to view my site. I conteced GoDaddy and asked them about it, they told me to paste a code into my web.config file that will show the source of the error. I did that and indeed got a new error message that goes like this:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Parser Error

Description: An error occurred during the parsing of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific parse error details and modify your source file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Unknown server tag 'blog:PostCalendar'.

Source Error:

Line 4:  <asp:Content ID="Content1" ContentPlaceHolderID="cphBody" Runat="Server">
Line 5: <uc1:PostList ID="PostList1" runat="server" />
Line 6: <blog:PostCalendar runat="server" ID="calendar"
Line 7: EnableViewState="false"
Line 8: ShowPostTitles="true"

Source File: /default.aspx    Line: 6

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.3615; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.3053

I've seen similar threads with similar errors on this website, but I couldn't find an answer explaining hot to fix it. Please tell me what to do to fix this, I would really appreciate your help. BTW I don't know the first thing about programming so try to be as clear as possible, just pretend your explaining how to fix the problem to a total idiot.

Nov 19, 2010 at 5:53 AM

I don't think the PostCalendar itself is the problem.  More a symptom of the problem.  For example, these other URLs on your site produce errors too (different errors).

Not sure exactly what the problem is.  In the BIN directory, there should be a file named BlogEngine.Core.dll.  I would try temporarily renaming that to another name (just for a couple of seconds), and then change it back to BlogEngine.Core.dll.  Changing the name like this should re-start the application, and if you're lucky, it may just need a restart.

Nov 19, 2010 at 6:10 PM

I was lucky =), it worked like a charm. I can't thank you enough BenAmada. Easiest fix ever. I owe you one, because you saved my website. Thank you!!!