How to Post to BlogEngine.net From Google Docs

Topics: Business Logic Layer
Mar 7, 2008 at 2:24 AM
Guys in case anyone wants to see how to use the api provided by BlogEngine.net I created a post in my new BlogEngine.net blog.

See it here.
How To Publish A Blog To BlogEngine.net From Google Docs
http://www.pencilsintheceiling.com/post/How-To-Publish-A-Blog-From-Google-Docs.aspx

Hope this helps.
Mar 7, 2008 at 6:21 PM
Why not use Windows Live Writer for example, since your goal is to bypass the built-in tiny editor?

Cool you've managed to connect Docs w/ BE.NET though. Thank you for sharing.
Mar 7, 2008 at 6:45 PM
Hey Mike, I have never used Windows Live Writer. I will be looking at it, until then can you provide an example?

My goal is going beyond the built in editor, as I am seeing other benefits. For instance I am able to create folders to group my posts and also 'stage' them until I am ready to publish. I know you can do this in BE.net by holding off on the publish property until ready, but it is nice to see all posts in the Google Docs folders.
I could see this as a great way to extend the managment of posts with in BE.net. I am finding that as I come up with an idea I create a category(Folder) for it in google docs until I am ready to write the post.
Mar 8, 2008 at 1:40 AM
Edited Mar 8, 2008 at 10:13 AM
Hi Robert,

Check out Windows Live Writer overview to see a screenshot and some features.
If you want me to create specific screenshots, let me know and I'll post some.

You hit the nail of the feature I like most of Windows Live Writer (WLW): compose all offline, stage tons of drafts and publish accordingly.
WLW also support to edit the slug/URL, tags and categories (even create new categories from WLW).

Just give it a try yourself, it's free software - you might like it too.
Mar 8, 2008 at 4:23 AM
I second MikevZ's endorsement of WLW, particularly the off-line composition, but Robert's angle is almost exactly opposite- collaborative writing of a post.

Both are way cool and both are free, so it's win-win on this one.

Thanks for the informative post, Robert !
Mar 8, 2008 at 5:08 AM
I just downloaded WLW and peeked around. Nice. It was easy to hook into your blog... didn't even have to know the api url.
I can see I need to find the blogging 101 course...

So right away here is a difference between WLW and Google Docs. In WLW you have access to your tags and categories, Google Docs does not have this capability.
Guess I will need to break out a new post and provide an update doing a feature comparison. Thanks