Non-English characters in URLs

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
Nov 26, 2010 at 11:57 PM

Hey guys, I made a small change to allow non-English characters in URLs - please try it out if your website is non-English and give us feedback if you run into any issues. Change is very small but it might have side effects, we need to catch those. Version #

Nov 27, 2010 at 12:51 AM

Cool, it's working when putting in a Japanese title.  Tested in FF, IE and Chrome.  IE is awkward because in the address bar, I see squares where the Japanese characters are in the URL -- but it still works.  Maybe a non-English OS would display the characters instead of squares.  Firefox & Chrome show the actual characters, and not squares.  I was able to leave a comment too ... wasn't sure how that would with with the AJAX post, but it's working.

Nov 27, 2010 at 1:38 AM

IE9 works fine, at least with Cyrillic UTF-8 characters. Categories and tags also work fine. Still need more variety to make sure all bases are covered.

Nov 28, 2010 at 9:44 AM

Hi, bosses, it's a great news indeed that BE is supporting UTF-8 titles, thanks for your work.

Some Chinese titles below, someone could you please test them?  (Excuse me but I forgot to bring a windows VM with my laptop...)

Simplified Chinese:    中文标题测试(Chinese Title Test)

Traditional Chinese:      中文標題測試(Chinese Title Test)

Thanks in advance.

Nov 29, 2010 at 4:50 PM

Where is that version ?

Nov 29, 2010 at 5:35 PM

Go to the Source Code tab and click on change set 73b994c546cf.