BlogEngine services

Topics: Business Logic Layer
Dec 4, 2010 at 12:03 AM

What services (ASMX or WCF) services are available in or planned for BlogEngine? I don't see any WCF config but there are some references to ASMX (presumably for Metaweblog API).

BlogEngine has been a great platform for extensibility but it does not seem to support external applications (assuming little or no services support). External applications would be able to leverage the BlogEngine platform if the business logic was available through services. One purpose that comes easily to mind is an iPhone/WM app that looks for new comment/trackback/pingback content and supports management of these items.

Dec 4, 2010 at 7:10 AM
Edited Dec 4, 2010 at 7:11 AM

In the 2.0 RC, look into the '/api' folder.  All of the services seem to be located there.

All services are asmx, except the authentication service which is WCF (svc).  I'm working on a little app atm for WP7.  So far, the only thing it can do is list comments by comment type (pending, approved, spam, deleted) and allow you to approve, delete, and restore comments - so the web services available are sufficient for those tasks.  I haven't gotten to post generation/editing yet, so I'm not sure if BE services are sufficient for all of those tasks.  Also, I haven't touched pingbacks and trackbacks yet, so I can't comment on if we have sufficient services for that.  The best thing to do is try to write what you want to do, and if something is missing, add it to BE and submit it via a fork (that's what I'm doing atm).  Chances are if you need some feature, then someone else will need it too :)

BTW, the WCF authentication service is not handled by the web.config by default yet, so if your server does not recognize *.svc, you may need to install WCF and/or map the appropriate handler either via IIS or the web.config.

Dec 5, 2010 at 9:29 PM

Excellent. Thanks for that. BTW, post generation and editing is handled by the metaweblog API which is a published service.