Count Feed Subscriptions

Topics: Controls
Dec 20, 2010 at 8:05 PM

Hi,

Is there any way to count feed subscriptions within Blogengine.net? Wouldn't that be a nice feature?

I haven't found ways to realize it.

greetings,

Florian

Coordinator
Dec 21, 2010 at 6:44 AM

Counting capability like this does not exist in BE.

One thing you could do is if you use Feedburner, it will tell you how many subscribers you have.  You can use a service like Feedburner with BE by providing Feedburner your blog's RSS URL (...../syndication.axd) and then plugging the Feedburner URL into the BE control panel.  In the control panel "Settings" section of BE, there is a Feed field for "Alternate Feed URL".  When you enter an alternate feed URL in, your blog will expose the Feedburner URL for visitors to subscribe to -- rather than exposing the syndication.axd URL.

Dec 21, 2010 at 7:04 AM

Thanks, i've already tried Feedburner in the past, but didn't like it. I will look at it again.

If i use Feedburner, is it possible to "get" the existing subscriptions to Feedburner to count them (without forcing user for a new subscription).

Greetings,

Florian

Coordinator
Dec 21, 2010 at 7:26 AM

Good question.  The person is going to need to resubscribe to the Feedburner feed.  You could create a post with a Title that tells people to switch their subscriptions to the new URL.  And then hopefully the readers will see that.

If you add the alternate URL for Feedburner, your existing syndication.axd URL will still work.  So those people will continue to get RSS updates, but not thru Feedburner.  If you wanted to disallow this, one brute force method would be to modify your web.config file ... in it, "syndication.axd" is defined as the URL that maps to the RSS generator within BE.  You could rename that from syndication.axd to some obscure name (example: hidden-syndication.axd), and then the new URL for your RSS feed will be hidden-syndication.axd (the old syndication.axd would no longer work).  You would then provide Feedburner with the hidden-syndication.axd URL, but not tell anyone else.  Then people will be forced to subscribe thru Feedburner.  Not pretty, but one possibility.

Of course, if you do this, make sure you like Feedburner before switching to them!

Or if you don't want to abandon your loyal subscribers, the other approach would be to add some code to BE that would attempt to accurately count the number of RSS subscribers you have.  As mentioned before, this functionality doesn't currently exist, but could be added.