Remember this virtual directory issue?

Dec 22, 2010 at 8:08 PM
Edited Dec 22, 2010 at 8:29 PM

Hey guys,

With BE2.0 close by, I wondered if the annoying GoDaddy issues with multiple domain hosting is solved.
Ya know, that virtual path that gets resolved since this hosting package uses weird application root.

The last post with a promising extension is mentioned here » http://blogengine.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=41504
Any chance this extension or preferably a built-in solution is available now or soon?

Really hope someone managed to get it into the core, so us GoDaddy customers don't have to mess around with the source code.
(and yeah, you might have seen some of my crazy rewrite work in project ModPack which died quietly ;-)

Good luck with the upcoming release guys and I truly hope once and for all this GoDaddy issue has been addressed properly.

*UPDATE* Just found this tool: http://blog.jaredreisinger.com/post/2009/11/22/Hosting-Utilities-PathUnwriter.aspx - gonna play with it now :)

Cheers,
Mike

Coordinator
Dec 22, 2010 at 10:00 PM

That tool looks promising -- good find.

It seems like after that post, this problem hasn't been brought up much or at all.  I don't think anything has been done to BE for this GoDaddy URL issue.

It does make sense that an HTTP module like you found there could rewrite the path and make the URLs come out right.  If you try it out, and it works, please post back here ... that would be very good to know.

Dec 22, 2010 at 11:06 PM
Edited Dec 23, 2010 at 12:12 AM

Thanks Ben. It sure seems promising, but I can't get it to work :(

I copied his PathUnwriter code into Visual C# but it keeps on breaking in line 54 (OutgoingStreamFilter).
*UPDATE* - just recompiled it with that line commented out. It builds, but doesn't remove the ugly path :(

Just used his contact page for help/how-to. Hopefully he'll reply fast.

Any pointers how to use that code is welcome as well.

Thanks guys!
Cheers Mike

Jan 14, 2011 at 11:33 PM
Edited Jan 14, 2011 at 11:37 PM

Unfortunately the author of PathUnwriter didn't reply to my mail via his contact form. Just tried again:

Hi Jared,

Hope you receive this message, since your PathUnwriter seems to be the best solution for BlogEngine on GoDaddy shared (deluxe) hosting.

Could you please provide me instructions how to use PathUnwriter? I copied your code in C# but the build breaks on line 54. I'm a C# noob and can't debug it properly. Thanks a lot for your pointers!

Best regards,
Mike

Anybody an idea why his code breaks on line 54?

Thanks a bunch!
Cheers, Mike

Coordinator
Jan 15, 2011 at 4:05 AM

Because published code does not include library with OutgoingStreamFilter implementation. He mentions at the bottom of the post that he uses this library for other things, I guess he just forgot to include this external shared resource or did not intended and just posted code as reference.

Jan 15, 2011 at 9:43 AM

Thanks rtur. I noticed his mention at the bottom, tried commenting out the reference to OutgoingStreamFilter but then the main functionality didn't work.

Any idea how i can work around this external shared resource?

Jan 18, 2011 at 8:39 AM
Edited Jan 18, 2011 at 8:39 AM

It's working!! Jared sent me the source for OutgoingStreamFilter.

So we got a working solution now and I've asked Jared what he's allowing me to share.
The only other thing I had to change in BE's config is disabling the Compress WebResource.axd option.

Keeping you posted.

Cheers,
Mike

Jan 18, 2011 at 3:46 PM
Edited Oct 24, 2011 at 7:54 PM

Please let me know when you are able to share it.

Kbdavis07@yahoo.com

I have GoDaddy hosting too and would like to have multiable websites.

Java Blog

Jan 19, 2011 at 6:43 AM
Edited Jan 19, 2011 at 6:44 AM

Jared updated his PathUnwriter post and included the source of OutgoingStreamFilter.cs

@kbdavis07: multiple websites were already possible, this utility helps to filter out the virtual application path GoDaddy uses.

Please let me know if you need any pointers how to use this utility.
If you want, I'll upload the compiled .DLL and instructions.

Jan 19, 2011 at 1:17 PM

Going to give it a try, will let you know if I need any help :)

I know you can have multiple websites but had problems with the url  demo.website.com/demo/default.com

Has the subdomain repeats in the URL

Jan 19, 2011 at 1:47 PM

Yep, that problem is solved now with this PathUnwriter utility. Good luck and enjoy :)

Jan 25, 2011 at 11:42 AM

MikevZ, please upload compiled .dll and/or instructions for PathUnwriter.

Can't seem to get it to work.

Thanks

Jan 27, 2011 at 1:02 PM

Hi dstefanovic, the compiled .dll is available for download here.

Short instructions to make it work: (more details written in this PDF file)

1. Download the compiled .DLL from: http://ict20.net/PathUnwriter.zip (only 5,41 KB)
  2. Place BE.PathUnwriter.dll in your /Bin/ folder
  3. Modify your web.config with the following code
    •  In the <Modules> section add this line:
      <add name="PathUnwriter" type="Spudnoggin.HostingUtils.PathUnwriter, BE.PathUnwriter" /> 
    • In the <httpModules> section add this line:
      <add name="PathUnwriter" type="Spudnoggin.HostingUtils.PathUnwriter, BE.PathUnwriter" />
      (preferably after the last added module/before any removed modules)
    •  In the <appSections> section add and modify this line:
      <add key="Spudnoggin.HostingUtils.PathUnwriter"
      value="^http://domain.tld/unwantedsubfolder/,http://domain.tld/,^/unwantedsubfolder/,/"/>

Good luck!
Cheers Mike

Jan 28, 2011 at 4:15 PM
Edited Jan 28, 2011 at 4:38 PM

Hi MikevZ, thanks

It loads the site without folder name in URL, but in links to other pages and in permalinks I see foldername appended again - so foldername is still treated as part of the root   :(

Is this idiocy specific only for GoDaddy? Do other hosting providers also do this?

Jan 29, 2011 at 12:56 AM

Hi dstefanovic,

That's weird, it's working fully here. What's your URL and how does the add key="Spud..." under the <appSections> look like?

Yes, this virtual application path issue seems to be GoDaddy specific. I've heard (other type of) issues with 1and1hosting and WebHost4Life with BE.NET as well.

Hope we can fix your links soon, I'm pretty sure we can. Are you running the latest 2.0 release?