"Could not save post: The specified string is not in the form required for an e-mail address."

Topics: Business Logic Layer
Jan 2, 2011 at 2:19 PM

I found the above error when I post anything to the blog; I have double checked the user settings and a valid email address has been entered

does anyone has any idea on how to fix this?

Jan 7, 2011 at 12:12 PM

does anyone know how can I resolve this or find out the root cause?

Jan 7, 2011 at 6:52 PM

I was able to reproduce this when there is an invalid email address in the App_Data\Newsletter.xml file.  This file contains email addresses of people who have signed up for the Newsletter (via the Newsletter widget).  When you save a post, all the people in that file are sent an email.  If an invalid email address exists, it appears to throw this error.

So check that file, and remove any invalid email addresses.  If you edit the file, you may need to restart the blog for your changes to be detected.  You can restart the blog by making any change to the web.config file (add a space, etc).

Jan 8, 2011 at 1:25 AM

It's working now!!! many thanks!

Is there any email address validation in the newletter subscription textbox?

Jan 8, 2011 at 1:38 AM

I think there is validation ... because I first tried entering an invalid email address directly in the box, and a validation message appeared when I tried to save it.  I ended up manually entering an invalid email address directly in the Newsletter.xml file.

But someone else I think recently reported a problem with an invalid email address in that file, so perhaps there is some way that invalid email addresses are able to make their way into the XML file.  This could be looked at.  Additional logic could also be added when the Newsletter widget sends out emails to make sure the email address is valid first, or at least trap errors so it doesn't prevent things like saving posts from working.

Jan 10, 2011 at 1:05 AM

That's great and is there any way to view/edit the newletter subscribers in dashboard/settings?

Jan 10, 2011 at 2:58 AM

It looks like you can click the 'Edit' link in the upper right corner of the Newsletter widget, and it will show you all the subscribed email addresses ... with a Delete link next to each one, in case you want to remove anyone.  The 'Edit' link only appears if you are logged in as an admin.