User Roles & Rights Not Working

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
Jan 5, 2011 at 8:15 AM

Hi Ben,

I have recently started using the blogengine on my website and facing a major problem due to which I may have to refrain myself from using BE unfortunately. Though I love it for other features.

The problem is:

One user is able to edit/delete the pages created by other users. I created a new Role and assigned rights accordingly. Still it doesn't help. The user1 is able to edit pages created by user2 or others. :(

Please help if I am missing some settings.

Jan 5, 2011 at 8:47 AM

Hi.  I'm aware of this, and it is basically unavoidable.  The reason for this is because BE doesn't record the Author or Creator of a Page.

So even though there are separate Rights for "edit/delete own page" and "edit/delete other users pages", the Rights system currently considers everyone the owner/creator of all the pages.  You still need to have the Right to "edit/delete own page" in order to edit/delete any of the pages ... but if you have the Right to "edit/delete own page", then you can edit any page or delete any page.

The solution, is that BE needs to record the author/creator of a Page.  Then this would work correctly.  But because the author/creator isn't being recorded, this is the way it currently works.  So you're not missing anything .... BE is!

Jan 5, 2011 at 9:12 AM
Edited Jan 5, 2011 at 9:23 AM

Hi Ben,

Thanks for reply. Can we expect BE to have this feature in the future releases?

Jan 5, 2011 at 6:24 PM

Yes, this will be added.  It's not even a lot of trouble to add, but there hasn't been a large need for it which is why it hasn't yet been added.  But now that we have this new Rights system that offers this capability to distinguish between Pages you wrote vs someone else wrote, this would be a good time to add an "Author" to the Pages.

Jan 6, 2011 at 2:55 AM
BenAmada wrote:

Yes, this will be added.  

Any estimates when this would be included? Would it possible to update this thread when added?

Also, can i disable the pages option?

Jan 6, 2011 at 7:24 AM

I'll add it for the next version.  I'm just not sure when the next version will be out.  Probably about 4 - 6 months from now.

You could "disable" Pages, by removing it from the Web.sitemap file, and also deleting the /admin/Pages directory.