Editing Posts outside of Admin

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0, Business Logic Layer, Controls
Jan 5, 2011 at 4:24 PM

Just had a problem where none of my posts are showing up, even though all the xml files are present. I haven't changed anything, this just happened suddenly.

Anyway, as a test, I'm running a clean install of Blog Engine. I created a test post which worked fine. However, if I manually edit that xmlfile outside of Blog Engine my changes don't show up. The changes only take place if I make them inside the Blog Engine admin. Anyone have any idea why this is? Or any ideas what I can check for on my live site to see why they're not showing up?

Have tried running the source code for my live files and the PostList control returns a PostCount of 0.

Thanks, any help will be much appreciated.

Jan 5, 2011 at 6:22 PM

All of the posts and data in the data store (App_Data folder) are cached in memory.  If you manually edit the files, BE is unaware changes have been made and continues to serve content from memory.

If you manually edit the data files, you'll need to restart the blog for the changes to be detected.  You can restart the blog by making any change to the web.config file (add a space, etc).

Jan 5, 2011 at 6:49 PM

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the reply, that was a great help. Turns out I had a bunch of xml files of 0kb. Not sure how but removing those and then restarting the app fixed it. I'd actually tried removing them earlier today, but didn't realise the cache was stopping me see the results.

Out of interest, do you know where the cache is set?

Thanks again for the reply!