Server Resource Issue from Pingbacks

Feb 1, 2011 at 10:40 PM

I just received this mail from DiscountASP.Net, and wonder if anyone else has come across this issue.  I am using a build of BlogEngine.Net from a couple of weeks ago whose which might be, but I'm not sure because I don't have access to my server.  I built it about three weeks back if that's any help. I have no other information apart from the mail below.


Dear Customer,

 An application running on   is creating resource issues on our web server.

 We have determined that the resource issues are related to a known BlogEngine.NET pingback spam issue. In certain situations the pingback spam can create a loop and the process of continually writing to your BlogEngine.NET files consumes a tremendous amount of server resources.

We have temporarily disabled web access to your site in order to give you an opportunity to fix the problem, following the steps outlined in the above article. You still have FTP access to your site, and email is not affected. Please also take this opportunity to ensure that you are running the latest version of BlogEngine.NET (

 Please reply to this email when you have taken the steps necessary to prevent the pingback spam issue, and we will re-enable web access for your account.

Please let us know if you have any further questions. 

Thank you,

DiscountASP.NET Abuse Department

Feb 2, 2011 at 9:53 AM

I'm not personally aware of any pingback issue.  The link they sent you (extra dot removed):

That was for BE 1.6 which is much older than what you are running.  BE 1.6 is from Feb 2010.  BE 2.0 is from Jan 2011.

If you can get details from them on what the problem is exactly, or some link/resource/documentation they have on what they know about the problem (rather than a vague statement about "create a loop and the process continually writing to your BlogEngine.NET files"), that would help a lot, and we can look at fixing it.

If they are pointing you to BE 1.6 and they refer to it as "the latest version of BlogEngine.NET", it sounds like they might be working off of old information that may no longer be valid.

Maybe they know something we don't know.  If so, it would be good to find out so we can fix it for BE and for you.

Feb 3, 2011 at 1:25 PM

Does anyone have a contact at DiscountASP.Net I can talk to about this?  Their technical guys are regurgitating the same message but not giving me any actual details, and their Twitter account seems to be ignoring me.  I used to have the contact details for their head of marketing but seem to have lost them along the way. Can anyone help get me more info on case number 3B7-14DB34ED-D125 ?

Feb 3, 2011 at 9:44 PM

One thing you could do is disable Pingbacks in the control panel.  Under Settings -> Advanced, both pingbacks and trackbacks can be turned off.

Feb 9, 2011 at 8:12 PM

Did you resolve the problem? Your site was always available when I checked and it was fast...

I'm interested how they determined the problem!?

When I had resource issues with continually writing to your BlogEngine.NET files I disabled the logger extension which was writing about 20MB of errors to the logger.txt under App_Data. After disabling the extension and deleting the file I felt that the blog was a lot faster. The reason for always writing to the file was probably the fixed memory size of my application pool.

Anyway support and equipment of the hosting providers could be better. ;)


Feb 10, 2011 at 12:24 PM

I did resolve the problem in that they restored my site, but I was never able to ascertain what happened.  

My logs seem to indicate that I received a tenfold increase in traffic from Rosemead in California. It appears to be actual traffic. The logs show that somebody crawled my site at a rate of about 4 pages per second. As a relative bench mark, before that I had probably been receiving only ten per hour before this.  I don't know if this was a search engine, or a script kiddie.

I had the logger disabled, though it wouldn't have registered much in any case as there few actual errors.  You are right about support from the hosting provider though. DiscountASP.Net immediately jumped to the conclusion that the errors were of my doing and disabled my account.  I haven't had much follow up from them yet, though I'm going to post again on their support boards to see what can be done.